manual focus SLR

logel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i am planning to buy a second hand manual focus SLR; i have some experience with a Nikon FE2, and was quite happy with it; but before buying another body, i would like to have some information about which one (any Nikon, Canon, Minolta, etc. produced between 1975 and 1985) helps getting better results with people or landscapes. Any information about reliability, weight, etc., would be highly appreciated.

In short, i would love any advice based on your personal experience with a manual focus SLR!!

I don't have much personal experience with a manual focus SLR but the brand name won't matter much...for getting better results. The quality of the lens will matter much, much more.

Older Canon SLRs (AE-1 etc.) are numerous and easy to find in used camera shops and on E-bay. The manual focus lenses for them (Canon FD) can also be had for a good price because they are not compatible with the newer auto focus Canon EOS line of cameras.

thanks a lot for your help; i also feel like going for Nikon, just in case i buy an authomatic model in the future and can use some of the lenses. Anyway i will find out more about Canon SLR.
Now i am living in Beijing, and there are some nice places there where you can find second hand stuff -and at better prices than in the West-, although i heard FM2 bodies are hard to find, i'll have to check it out. Still, could you tell me what are the improvements of Nikon FM regarding to the FE series? (thanks again)

It's gotta be my trusty Nikon FM3A, always. :wink: Not really meet your requirement regarding the year made (it's a relatively new model, 2001)Visit the Nikon website and see if u like the specs. I think that Nikon should really be encouraged to continue to make quality mechanical, manual SLRs like this one, so best way to do it, is to buy one. :)

Otherwise, have u ever considered about the Pentax K-1000? It's simply cool too.

i was wondering about the improvements that the amateur photographer can sense with the FM2. Maybe the metering exposure system? What about the Nikon FA and its shutter priority mode? Is it as good as it looks? Thanks

hi, e_

thanks a lot for your reply; i actually already knew the site, it helped me a lot to work with my FE2, what i was looking for here was some advice from people who had used any type of classic SLR. Maybe i will open another subject to ask particularly about the Nikon FA, i feel quite attracted to this one now, would like to try this shutter priority...
Thanks again for your help, I agree this site is the Oracle, and I wonder how can anyone know so much about camera technology and have the willing to spend so much time putting this knowledge on the web...

hi, e_

thanks a lot for your reply; i actually already knew the site, it helped me a lot to work with my FE2, what i was looking for here was some advice from people who had used any type of classic SLR. Maybe i will open another subject to ask particularly about the Nikon FA, i feel quite attracted to this one now, would like to try this shutter priority...
Thanks again for your help, I agree this site is the Oracle, and I wonder how can anyone know so much about camera technology and have the willing to spend so much time putting this knowledge on the web...

logel said:
i was looking for here was some advice from people who had used any type of classic SLR

I'm a big fan of the ones that will still function without any batteries. Most of the cameras I use don't even have a place for batteries, and I'm always disgusted when one of my fancy, new-fangled cameras quits on me at an inopportune moment.

thanks for your advice, but i think i am too much of a beginner to try that kind of camera for the moment; anyway, could you be more specific about the models you work with? I would love to find out something more about them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back