Manual Focus

Ygrazi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a D50 and I'm having some trouble w\ the manual focus. Can anyone give me some tips?
Thanks!

Yeah flick to auto :(. Digital cameras are insanely hard to focus with some kind of focusing aid. The viewfinder is smaller and darker than their film counterparts, and the is no splitprism screen.

I am not sure if the D50 has some similar feature but if I manually focus on the D200 and depress the shutter half way, the green focus indicator comes on in the bottom left if whatever is currently under my selected focal point is in focus, and the conditions allow autofocus to work.

Ok I have a D50 and I always use the manual focus because the Auto focus just sucks for action shots or long exposure shots. at the bottom of the veiw finder where it has a small readout of where the focus point is there is a little green LED if you manually focus, when you get the object that that point is pointing to focused that LED should light up. Hope it helps.

yeah, I see the green light, but it alwayyssss blinks. Is so hard to get it steady. Am I missing something?

no that is just the precition of the focus. Besides you only have to get it close. What do you think that every picture that was took on film was in PERFECT focus. No way!!! If you get it close enough it shouldn't really matter that much.

Personally I'd be delghted if someone would find a way of incorporating the splitscreen prism with the autofocus sensors. Unfortunately that sounds too much like nirvana for it to ever happen.

Ya I don't think that they will do it. Mostly the whole point of having the Auto focus is so that beginners can pick up one of the dSLRs and be able to use it really easily. I think that they should put the prism on the higher end models. That would do good for the more professional users who wished to use the manual focus although I doubt they would do that.

Edit: Digital Matt, good idea but there would be to much crap in the view finder and it would end up bothering me.

Most reactions

Back