Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all!

So I was messing around two days ago, and I realized something, I think I may actually enjoy taking photos in full manual then I do taking them in Av or Tv. I'm still relatively new in the world of DSLR photography, but for whatever reason, I felt like I had a better understanding of what was happening between the camera and the photos I was taking when I was in Manual mode. Prior to this, and at the suggestion of a more experienced photographer, I was shooting in Av and Tv based on my needs and I just always had the uneasy feeling that the camera was doing something I wouldn't like with regard to setting the f-stop or shutter speed. Now I can look at a subject, think of the effect I'd like to see, and for the most part have a rough idea of what I need to adjust. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this be the case for them? I'm not saying Av and Tv don't have a place, I'll probably use them if I'm rushed or feeling lazy, but overall I just felt much more confident in full manual.

Just wondering :)

Toga

Made a little change to the title because manual focus was not what you were on about ;) :)

As for the controls, makes perfect sense, some people don't like machines to do things even if they are things that the person is going to do themselves. In the end you've experimented, learnt how (or at least started to learn how) to use the varying modes and are now settling toward the mode that gives you the results you want and the control you want.

Some might prefer aperture priority and others maybe even shutter priority. Like its always said -its not the mode that matters its getting to the settings that's important.

I can't see the problem when using Av or Tv, as the camera tells you what aperture or shutter speed it picked. It's not like you set one and the camera mysteriously picks the other. Most cameras allow you to adjust what the camera has picked too. Whatever works for you.

Overread said:
Made a little change to the title because manual focus was not what you were on about ;) :)

Ha! Thanks! I didn't even realize what I put there, too early in the morning I suppose :p

Railphotog said:
I can't see the problem when using Av or Tv, as the camera tells you what aperture or shutter speed it picked. It's not like you set one and the camera mysteriously picks the other. Most cameras allow you to adjust what the camera has picked too. Whatever works for you.

Oh I didn't mean to say there was a problem with using Av or Tv. I only found it odd that I enjoyed manual more, since every book and website I read was telling beginners to avoid it like the plague, else they become a mind-melted puddle of confused photographer :) I suppose I just enjoy the more hands on approach to Manual, but that isn't to say I wont ever use Av or Tv :)

When you are in full manual mode, did you ignore the camera build-in light meter?

In AV mode:
- You set the aperture to f/5.6
- You point the camera to the subject and half press the button.
- The camera focus on the subject and suggest to use 1/100 shutter speed.
- You fully press the shutter button and take the photo.

In Manual mode:
- You set the aperture to f/5.6
- You point the camera to the subject and half press the button.
- The camera focus on the subject and you dial the wheel to change the shutter speed until it point to "0". In this case, it is 1/100 (also based on the camera light meter)
- You fully press the shutter button and take the photo.

You see, the result is the same. :) Learn to use manual mode is good, but understanding why is more important.

Of course, you could be doing this.
- Look at the scene.
- Set the aperture to f/5.6
- Set the shutter speed to 1/100.
- Half press for focus and ignore the meter complete even it said -1
- Fully press the shutter button.

TV and AV are good for certain situations which require one of the 2 setting to remain constant while maintaining a light level based on the meter choosing the other.

If you were following a person through a house with different lighting situations in each room clicking off a bunch of shots while keeping the shutter speed the same, TV would be handy as it would adjust the ap for you based on light levels. If they come out a little bright based on the camera, then you can use exposure compensation and dial it down a stop or so.

If you were shooting some flowers out front using AV with a wide aperature then the opposite corrections would be made. Each shot would retain the same aperature and in theory givingyou a similar light level via shutter speed.

I am one of those control freaks too. I find aperture and shutter priority much harder to control the image with. I am all manual all of the time.
When you start to realize that light doesn't change that often and you don't have to change settings for EVERY image, it's really very easy.
Whereas to me shooting in a priority mode you have to watch what the camera is doing AND watch all of the other things going on. If you meter off something black you get overexposed, if you meter off white you get underexposed, you get pot luck when you let the camera control things. Then post processing is a nightmare!!! You have to touch EVERY.SINGLE.IMAGE to make them all the same... PITA!

That's not to say there is anything WRONG with shooting in a priority mode if you know how to use it properly. It's probably how most photographers shoot and they do it well.

DAO-Yes, kind of. You meter and set your exposure according to your needs. For example I generally am shooting sports and shutter is my main need. I know for wrestling I need to be at 1/400 or so right now so that's where I start. Then I look at my meter and see where I am. I know that I want to shoot about f/4 if I can, so I start my second setting there... Meter again to see where I am at. Raise the ISO to where I need it to be.
During a tournament from dawn to midnight the lighting never changes in that setting. I am good to shoot all day long. I might meter again if they change to the ring light for finals. I start the process all over again adding in flash.

For a portrait sitting it's the same if you are using a studio set up.

For casual shooting in the afternoon the light doesn't change constantly. I set my exposure and go. I know that if I step into the shade I need to add a little light somewhere and if I step into the sun I need to take some light out of the equation.

I find that spot metering and being able to see light to dark sure as heck helps!
I spot meter the tone I want to be my middle of the road. You can do that in less than a second while you are shooting to be sure your hitting your settings correct as you are shooting.

If I had to hit exposure lock, then focus all while watching that the camera isn't screwing up my other setting and keeping track of EC or FEC... I'd have fingers in a knot.

I am one of those control freaks too. I find aperture and shutter priority much harder to control the image with. I am all manual all of the time.
When you start to realize that light doesn't change that often and you don't have to change settings for EVERY image, it's really very easy.
Whereas to me shooting in a priority mode you have to watch what the camera is doing AND watch all of the other things going on. If you meter off something black you get overexposed, if you meter off white you get underexposed, you get pot luck when you let the camera control things. Then post processing is a nightmare!!! You have to touch EVERY.SINGLE.IMAGE to make them all the same... PITA!

Precisely my reasoning as well. For what I shoot, manual is simply easier, faster, and more reliable. I meter once and forget it. I don't have to worry about what I'm pointing the camera at determining what the meter is going to show. It's also similar to the reason I use back button focusing. I don't want the focus to change just because I press the shutter button again.

MLeek, Yup. That's the difference between know why you use manual mode and want to use manual mode because it is manual mode.

Shoot in whatever mode you want .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back