Maple Leaf

Picksure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Had this posted on a previous forum.(no longer running)
Did not get a single response. I like it, let me know what y'all think.

7636b7d3.jpg

this is very good! great use of contrasting colors and DOF. :thumbsup:

very nice shot. The DOF is great along with the lighting. I am glad to see the leaves do not stop in the middle of the frame, however I wonder what it would be like if there was some more of them showing. I find the large green space to the left of them a little distracting, almost taking my focus off the leaves.

I think it has great potential. There is just too much background and not enough subject. The DOF is great and so are the contrasting colors.

I think a tight crop of the maple leaf would do wonders for the compositional value of this shot.

Thanx, trying to go from snapping shots to taking a photograph is tough work :? . With the help of the people here I hope to get better. How would this have been? (the original was straight from my camera)

7465a194.jpg

p.s. Big Mike, love the signature. :lol:

That's much, much better. It still has all the good qualities from the original, without the extra background.

Another tip for avoiding that "snapshot" look...try to avoid putting your subject in the middle of the photo unless there is a good reason to do so.

Read up on the "Rule of Thirds". Basically it says that if you divide the photo into thirds, both vertically and horizontally, you want your subject or focal point to be on one of the points where the lines intersect.

It usually makes the image more pleasing to look at...and gets away from looking like a tourist snapshot.

your second post does look much better, but in no way was your first posting "snapshot". you did a great job! :thumbsup:

Going from a point and shoot camera, to one with manual controls is not as easy as I thought. My first thought was to give up. Glad I didn't. Trial and error and online help has made this a great hobby. One thing mentioned is the rule of thirds. Thanks for the simple explanation.(didn't have a clue) Thank-you for the input, it will be put to good use.
I will snap and post more here, looking forward to the comments.

Most reactions

Back