Marco lens/lens setup for Canon AT-1?

TheTyro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thetyro.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I typically take photos of insects and arachnids with my cell phone camera, and it actually does a pretty good job at getting up close and personal with their little details ( though I have to crop almost all of them) But I really enjoy using my Canon AT-1 and was wondering what sort of setup would work to get me the results i'm looking for...in an old school sort of way.

Currently, I'm using a Canon AT-1 since it'll be years before I can afford the digital camera I've been wanting. Also, a lot of the lenses for the at-1 are within my ability to purchase and experiment with.

Though I do currently have a 50mm lens and a 75-300mm lens...but neither of them really get quite as up close as I'd like. Is there a way to implement the lenses I already have to get the proximity I want, or is there a specific lens out there that will make life a bit simpler by purchasing?

And to see what sort of macro I mean, I was hoping like these, or even more detailed ( though I suppose digital is the way to get more detail, stacking images and what not..) Pictures of my Phidippus Jumpers! - Arachnoboards

Last edited:

This lens won't fit an AT-1 ! The AT-1 takes FD mount lenses, and with some loss of metering convenience, FL mount. It will not accept the modern EF and EF-s mount lenses.

True lens reversing rings, which would mount the 50mm f/1.8 revesed onto the body, are one method. You end up with a fixed focus arrangement that will yield something near 1:1. With the later FD lenses, the so called "New FD", you would also need the little plastic "clip" that holds the diaphram lever in the stop down position. On the older FD lenses you just push the lever to the end of its travel and it will be trapped by a latch. It is possible to increase the magnification by adding extension tubes or a bellows.

Another method is to get another type of ring, often call a "reversing ring" but more properly a "reverse coupler" or "macro coupler", that mounts the 50mm lens reversed onto the front of the 75-300 zoom. The 50mm lens acts as a +20 diopter closeup lens. The zoom is mounted on the body and its zoom, focusing, and metering all function normally. The f/stop ring on the reversed 50mm lens would be set to maximum aperture (f/1.8) and exposure would be controlled by the zoom.

Canon did make a 100mm macro in the old FD mount. This would also be something to consider if you can find a good one on the used market. The shorter 50mm macro is good but the closer working distance that results from the shorter focal length makes lighting more difficult.

I've got the Canon 100mm Macro kit. Contains Canon Macro lens 100mm f/4 and extension tube FD 50 U. See it here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdmacro/100macro.htm

Works great for me. This lens was brought out of storage where it had been for years. Sent it off, had it checked for Fungus/Haze/Dust and anything else. It was barely used when put in storage. So, it's basically like "new".

Wish I had some photo's with it to upload, but don't right now. I see these go on ebay for approx. 100 bucks, give or take, in excellent condition, mint for about 125. BTW, those are some darned good macro's for a freaking cell phone, I couldn't believe them when I saw them.

J.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying to your awesome comments, they are exactly the sort of help I was looking for. I think I may get a reverse coupler ring thing until I get a job and can afford to buy the actual lens.

When I do have the cash, I know who to talk to!:mrgreen: I'll be back!

Late to the party I know but......

I have both the FD Macro 100mm f/4 and the FD Macro 50mm f/3.5. These lenses are very affordable and worth their price, so if you want to see some samples just let me know.

I also have the Canon Bellows FL and the Canon FL58mm reverse coupler. I was not too impressed with the reverse coupler but the bellows was an investment worth making.

Got this one too. Might want to check them out, but they are getting a little hard to find in Excellent to Mint condition:

Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall - Lenses (New Fd Mount) I also use this one as a "walking around" with lens, when I don't feel like carrying a back-pack. This lens is particuarly light too, in comparison. If interested, I know a guy who sells mint used Canon equipment. Might find you one. I really like this one, but still prefer the 100mm with the coupler for "strictly" macro.

J.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back