Marketing idea - a contest

msf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive been trying to think of ways to market my services, and get my name out there.

One idea Ive had is to have a contest, where the grand prize winner would win a free portrait session, and a free 11x14 print. Runners up would win something as well, a coupon for something, with the purchase of a package. Im still working out the details.

I know some here shudder at the idea of giving away prints, but I think this would be a good way to get my name out there, and I would be able to collect contact information for future advertising.

So my main question would be: Is there anything I should be aware of? Especially legally. The main thing I am thinking of, do I need to have the drawing in a public area with witnesses, so no one thinks I chose a friend. I probably wont let any family participate, just to be safe, that or do a 2nd drawing if a family member wins.

Have anyone here tried anything like this?

What kind of contest are you talking about? A photo contest?

What if the winner's work was better than yours?
(I don't know how much of a risk that would be for you (not familiar with your work), but it sure would be embarrassing...)

Perhaps contest isnt the right word, more a drawing.

Have people submit thier names and contact info, and on a certain date *enough time to do the family portrait and get the prints back in time for mothers day* draw a name and they win a portrait by me. its not a photographer photo contest.

Ah, OK. I get what you mean now. Like a raffle expect they don't pay for the tickets.

That makes a lot more sense...lol!

EDIT
I see business doing this all the time, I don't really see why it wouldn't work for you.

im just concerned the drawing would have to be in a public place or something. I dont really have anywhere to do that, since I do photography on location. :)

im just concerned the drawing would have to be in a public place or something. I dont really have anywhere to do that, since I do photography on location. :)
Try and rent a cheap studio for the promotion? Or get permission to set up in a local park, etc.

you could also try running it as part of a local fair or event - maybe book a small space for yourself and a setup and shoot portrate shots (for cost) over the day but also have a raffle along side with the prize being a free session (don't end it right at the end of the day though most people have left and you will want to go home too - early afternoon is about best - enough time for people to sign up and enough time for you to shoot comfortably - plus most people have not left yet)
You could adapt similar even if its just you shooting ina park or something.

If properly done, it could fill that studio quite nicely.

A few conditions:
- any winner has to be present at the drawing to accept the prizes
- they have to leave full contact info
- a previous winner cannot win again for a period of 12 months

I get all kinds of marketing ideas. Imagine having 30-50 people in a rented studio... before the drawing have a 15 min presentation about who you are and what you do. Maybe have a couple models and setups ready to demo your skills and show the results. After the demo... do the drawing and take a few pics of the winners!

Now do one every 3-4 months.

I did something like this about 20 years ago but I was showcasing my networking and teaching skills at a computer trade show. I picked up 20 new clients in 30 min of my time... but I was well prepared and had a VERY polished routine down by then.

To do this:
- you'd better be a good photographer.
- you'd better be a good presenter and public speaker.
- you'd better be ready, preparation is 99% of the game.

Like I often say... the business of photography has VERY little to do with pressing the shutter button.

Last edited:
Well I consider myself a pretty good photographer. Everyone seems to like my portraits, however I do see a lot of areas that I can improve, but time and practice will hopefully solve that.

Im not the best public speaker. I do tend to speak fast, and I have an accent to the people here, since I moved down here from up north.

I was thinking about doing a 2nd one of these after mothers day, and team up with a local library. Have them collect tickets for something like $1, $3 or maybe $5 per ticket. That money would go to a fund raiser for something, dont know yet. And get the library to hold one of my portraits and my information as well. I figure I can get alot of public awareness from this. They already do similiar fund raising, but not for photography that I have seen.

I was hoping to do that after mothers day, but perhaps I should forget doing the first one on my own and do just the library one.

I realized I should ad some stipulations to the ad, for starters state where the portrait will be taken. Otherwise they could ask me to drive hours away to take it. :)

I realized I should ad some stipulations to the ad, for starters state where the portrait will be taken. Otherwise they could ask me to drive hours away to take it. :)

Unless they are within a few miles, they come to you... matter of fact, they should always come to you. That is where having a "home base" or access to a professional level studio on a rent per session basis is important.

Watch that public speaking, it can make or break the event. Can you demo in front of a room full of people?

Some of the world's finest photographers cannot not speak publically well enough to give away their services for free. That is why I said the business of photography has very little to do with pressing a shutter... it is about selling.

If properly done, it could fill that studio quite nicely.

A few conditions:
- any winner has to be present at the drawing to accept the prizes
- they have to leave full contact info
- a previous winner cannot win again for a period of 12 months

I get all kinds of marketing ideas. Imagine having 30-50 people in a rented studio... before the drawing have a 15 min presentation about who you are and what you do. Maybe have a couple models and setups ready to demo your skills and show the results. After the demo... do the drawing and take a few pics of the winners!

Now do one every 3-4 months.

I did something like this about 20 years ago but I was showcasing my networking and teaching skills at a computer trade show. I picked up 20 new clients in 30 min of my time... but I was well prepared and had a VERY polished routine down by then.

To do this:
- you'd better be a good photographer.
- you'd better be a good presenter and public speaker.
- you'd better be ready, preparation is 99% of the game.

Like I often say... the business of photography has VERY little to do with pressing the shutter button.

:thumbup:

Unless they are within a few miles, they come to you... matter of fact, they should always come to you. That is where having a "home base" or access to a professional level studio on a rent per session basis is important.

Watch that public speaking, it can make or break the event. Can you demo in front of a room full of people?

Some of the world's finest photographers cannot not speak publically well enough to give away their services for free. That is why I said the business of photography has very little to do with pressing a shutter... it is about selling.

I really dont like to use a studio. You do get more control over the lighting, but I like to have the client interact with the surrounding environment outdoors. I will probably get a studio eventually for the winter months and bad weather days.

I really dont like to use a studio. You do get more control over the lighting, but I like to have the client interact with the surrounding environment outdoors. I will probably get a studio eventually for the winter months and bad weather days.

Yes but where are you going to implement your prize drawing, in a park? Hardly very professional!

We are talking about the concept of your idea... and trying to gather up a lot of people in a small indoor area that YOU have control over and can sell and showcase your skillset. That way you can also likely even start shooting for sales right then and there. If you do your job right, you will likely have between 10-20 people to shoot right after the demo/drawing. ;)

When I was talking about a studio, I meant in general, not just for the giveaway. There are other options than a park. Im currently thinking about teaming up with a local library, have them collect the tickets and perhaps charge for the tickets, again have the library collect this, and have the money go towards a good cause in the community. Hopefully the library would agree to this. :)

The presentation is a great idea, however the display of skills may not work that great when it comes to photography. Having some subjects pose and let me take their pictures sounds a bit boring for an audience to watch, and I would feel silly doing so. I could have some large prints made and display them around the room, that may be a better way to display my skills?

I did checkout some books from the library on public speaking, perhaps Ill get some good advice on there. :)

I heard somewhere about a book that teaches you how to interact with people better, and to relay your point of view as to influence others to do what you want. I wasnt paying full attention when I heard this, and later it was to late to get the name. I was wondering if anyone knows what im talking about? I figure that would be great for public speaking as well. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back