JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!
I just started my home based studio last year. I mainly take photos of babies and children (which I LOVE), but would really like to get into Senior Portraits. Here is a copy of my marketing ploy to get business:

Flier: Will be hung up around town...shops, gyms, school boards, etc...

Last edited:
Hello!
I just started my home based studio last year. I mainly take photos of babies and children (which I LOVE), but would really like to get into Senior Portraits. Here is a copy of my marketing ploy to get business:

Flier: Will be hung up around town...shops, gyms, school boards, etc...

4818466663_7c2b3a11e1.jpg

Link to blog for more info:
Jen Lavazza Photography: Seniors ROCK!

We also have have a small movie theater in town that advertises on the Big Screen for only 30.00 a month, so I plan to do that Aug & Sept.

Am I missing anything?? Am I being clear and professional? Any flaws you can think of?

First time marketing. Most of my business is through word of mouth!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me!!

The poster doesn't convey a sophistication of business. Do you have a good senior portrait shot you could use? If you want, I could take what you have and lay it out with some eye flow.

If not, some things to keep in mind:
- you are selling your photo skills - Grab the viewer with a large dominant image.
- have one clear heading and avoid the warped text.
- Have the details take less prominence in the poster. If you have done a good job grabbing their attention, they will take the time to read the details.
- Use a supporting symbol scaled and pushed back as a background. maybe a large mortarboard or something like that.

Let me know if you would like me to lay something out for you.

Make your name bigger.

Not enough whitespace. Too much wording at the bottom. Keep it short and sweet.

SURE! I'd LOVE any help!! lol Marketing is definitely not my forte :( I only have a couple senior photos and they aren't that great. Being so new to the business I haven't had time to really work with them much. Hence why I'm giving away free sessions! lol

You charge $20 for a weekday session?

10.00 off your session fee (that's 50% off for weekday sessions!)

Do you have the Wacker family's book:

Master Guide For Photographing High School Seniors ?

It has a section on marketing to high school seniors.

Have you heard of using senior reps?

Yeah...I'm cheap. Only 30.00 for weekends. I know I should charge more, but being new and all I feel it's fair. Plus, It's more of a hobby for me than anything. I probably have 4-6 sessions a month and that's through word of mouth only. No advertising. I'm afraid if I raise my prices too much I'll lose much of my business.

However, I'd like to reach out to Seniors and thought this may be a great way to do it.

Senior Reps? I've heard the term, but no I am unfamiliar with how it works.

I'll have to check that book out!! Thanks!

Okay...Googled Senior Reps. It's a GREAT idea! Here are my only concerns:

Is it too late to start this type of program? Looks like most photographers started with Jr.s this past Spring.

The cost of the cards they hand out. I use overnight prints...seems to be the cheapest for the quality, but would still cost me 20.00+ or so each rep. Well, I guess that's not that bad huh? I just don't want to be out a ton of money if people they refer don't come.

I know this method must work or photographers wouldn't do it.... Think this is better than winning a free session? Or maybe doing both?

No you have me all frazzled!! lol j/k Thanks for bringing this method to my attention!

Ok... above is your original. Here is a first draft that contains the basic imagery and text. After this draft stage, I would play around with the placement of text. I can already see that "Free Portrait Session" goes beyond the established margins.
pfz98x

A few notes:
- "Attention All Seniors" is redundant. You are already saying "Attention" by putting your name out there. You are giving the reader some credit, understanding that you have to be a senior to be in the class of 2011.
- all the details can be on your web site or you can tell them when they call. Besides, you want to drive hits to your web site anyway.
- Have a clear link on your home page for this special. Don't make the reader remember that they have to go to the blog section to get information.
- When you credit print work, limit yourself to 2 fonts (three tops) and vary with emphasis and size.
- you should develop a business logo to go with your URL. It will start to generate brand recognition.
- obviously you can't use this photo because you'd want an example of your work. I chose this one because of the black and white simplicity and elegance of their outfits. I know the guys foot looks a little awkward, but it wasn't that obvious when he is rooted to a surface.

Anyway, you can try and copy this layout yourself, or provide me some imagery and I can do it cheaply for you.

Wow!! That looks WAY more professional!! Thank you SO much for your help! I really agree with all your advice. It makes sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me! I looked back at the one senior session I've done and there's only one photo I like, but I don't think it would work well for this.

Wow!! That looks WAY more professional!! Thank you SO much for your help! I really agree with all your advice. It makes sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me! I looked back at the one senior session I've done and there's only one photo I like, but I don't think it would work well for this.

You'd be surprised. Post the photo and I can suggest how it might work for you. Don't tie yourself to one layout. Your photo could dictate a rearrangement of the elements or a new design.

Ok... I stand corrected. Get a good head shot. I like this one that leans in a little and is engaging with the eyes. Your shot has too much hood plus she doesn't look like a high school senior.
xbbuzf

I would also suggest getting a facebook page for your company. That is how my local photorapher back home gets most of his interest. People go to him and like him on their facebook page and then he pops up for all their friends to like and he is also pretty cool and is really personable so make the best out of every single shoot and make sure to have fun and have them have fun because if its good and fun the word will spread like wild fire though the school expecially with girls. They seemed to talk more than any guy back in school.

Okay went with the advice given, another half way decent photo (and Oldmacman's layout...only horizontal because I may advertise it on the movie screen) and came up with this version :

4820614611_f763cfa95c.jpg

Okay went with the advice given, another half way decent photo (and Oldmacman's layout...only horizontal because I may advertise it on the movie screen) and came up with this version :

4820614611_f763cfa95c.jpg

Definitely better than your first effort.

For me, the eye flow is off:
- your highest contrast is the "Win a Free Portrait Session". Not necessarily a bad thing because people Like "free".
- grab attention with a large image. Think a lot bigger with the pic you have. Probably top to bottom.
- careful with the lines. The crossing point can be good if it happens near something important. Yours takes the viewer off the top right.
- get the title to come in at the eyes. By nature we are drawn to the gaze.

You are really close. With a few tweaks you'll be there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back