Marketing with DIY?

AmberAtLoveAndInk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.loveandinkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Pinterest pretty much consumes most people I know. DIY tutorials, recipes, photography poses, ect ect ect. I myself look up many tutorials during the day when I'm bored and want something artsy to do. So while in slow season I decided to try and market my photography business by getting involved with DIY projects. I would think this would set myself a bit apart from most photographers in my area and also might bring in some new clients. I did a few tutorials with pictures and posted them into a Pinterest-like layout on my website. Has anyone here done something similar? If so did it benefit you and/or bring in more interest, or was it just a pain the neck to go through all the steps of tutorials and craftiness to get little-to-no interest from your clients?

here's the link to my "pinterest-like" DIY page (some tutorials are only working correctly on the desktop version):Love & Ink Photography DIY

Let me know your thoughts. I'm sure many of you will be quite opinionated bahaha!

Most people just sign up with Demand Media and get paid to shoot DIY projects for their articles. I have never heard a single positive story from that arrangement though so I would personally discourage anyone from getting suckered-in by Demand and their "easy money".

If any thing, your approach is good to help expand your skills and diversify your portfolio during the down time so it sounds like a smart move in the long run.

Doing DIY articles and photos will get you a following of people interested in DIY, it's not going to get you a following of people interested in photography.

Doing DIY articles and photos will get you a following of people interested in DIY, it's not going to get you a following of people interested in photography.
This.

You might be able to pull of marketing for your photography in this way, but it would only really make a lot of sense if you do a lot of homemade lens photos and camera hacks and whatnot.
Which is difficult to come up with consistent content for, doesn't sound like something you already do, and probably has a pretty thin interest base anyway.

I do agree, it probably won't bring in photography lovers per say, but I would think that if someone googled a DIY and my page popped up they would be tempted to browse the site further and view my work, driving more traffic to my site. I also wanted to do DIY's more photography based without too more technical work for clients that haven't a clue about lenses and whatnot (like a DIY pinhole camera) but at the moment I'm just posting up tutorials of "crafty" things I've done (I DIY many of my props for children). I think I'll give it a go and if I'm not getting the feedback I think I should by mid-spring I'll let it die, or maybe just do it as a seasonal thing so in the winter I'm not utterly bored. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back