Marketing yourself - Do you use a Logo, Business name, or Both?

I work with a lot of other photographers who do photography as a business and I see both personal names and business names being used (I would say its almost 50/50). I think using your name makes the business more personal. You are the photographer and this is all your business. But then there are photographers who open up studios and hire extra photographers and go about business in different way.

But regardless of the name of the business I think the way it is presented it also important. The font and styling of the name and the way it is watermarked on photos. And also logos, I see a lot of photographers that use logos.

Im looking forward to hearing more thoughts and opinions on the matter. If anyone wants to share their logo that would be great too!

See of the people I know and are familar with it's probalby more like 90% who use there own name and 10% who don't which was the biggest reason for me.

I used my name for many years and then switched to a company name, even though I am on my own. When I switched I was working on putting together a group with other photographers, trying to cover all the big regions in Canada. While it worked for a while, the arrangement was that we would recommend each other for jobs in our sections of the country. It really didn't fly too well as one guy was getting all the work, so that ended and now we work in each others backyards if the clients are willing to pay all the travel expences, if not, we recommend the closest guy.

Whatever works.

I personally went with a Company name rather than my name.

Firstly, My main Market is Editorial. Mostly Music & events, Sports, News and Automotive/motorcycle/aviation.
My logic goes like this: With my main Customer and Client being newspapers and magazines, I'm going to form a relationship with the editor and he's (Or she's) going to know me, regardless of Company name.
For my second main customer base, Bands and musicians, I wanted a Company name that displayed a bit of my personality, and was a bit playful. Much like a band name. And having a Great Logo adds to that.

I can't really speak for the Consumer Direct market, Such as Wedding, Portrait, Etc. but it makes sense to me for what I'm doing.

Please bear with me,... Still working on the website.

ardentowl.com

~Ryan W.
Ardent Owl Media.

You should establish everything else first before a Logo, you can always do your Logo after you decide on a name.

I chose with a Company name because the name have a special meaning to me and it's a name that I love. Also, I plan to build and expand the company with all my associates in the future. I want all the work to be recognize as a Team effort and not as an individual.

Everybody is different and there's no right or wrong way to go at it. Pick a name that you can live with for years to come. That's why you have to really think and be sure it's the name you want to go with. My personal name is something I keep to do personal and side projects that's different from what I do.

Most reactions

Back