Mastering your Flash.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There are a million videos out there on off camera flash (OCF) but I found this one particulary simple to follow and useful. Perhaps you'll enjoy it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use that same light meter and yes it saves time indeed

Did you watch the whole video? It was more than just the meter.

Light meters can be very helpful, I wish he had mentioned something about metering the ambient light first, since metering your ambient separately from flash is a very useful technique when photographing on location. They can also be used to meter to lighting ratio between two lights to set the contrast of a scene. I rarely use my light meter any more, but I will use it when I'm photographing a complex scene, like a home interior where I am mixing natural, artificial and flash.

Did you watch the whole video? It was more than just the meter.

Yes, I just love the meter.

Light meters can be very helpful, I wish he had mentioned something about metering the ambient light first, since metering your ambient separately from flash is a very useful technique when photographing on location. They can also be used to meter to lighting ratio between two lights to set the contrast of a scene. I rarely use my light meter any more, but I will use it when I'm photographing a complex scene, like a home interior where I am mixing natural, artificial and flash.

The Sekonic meter measure both the ambient and flash (for outdoor shooting), and it also allows you to take a reading then change fstop or shutter speed settings on the meter and see the ambient to flash ratio change. Its incredible!

Last edited:
Also at the end he suggests just blast away hot and the stop it down. Thats great till you want depth of field. The light meter will tell you the changes as you stop the light up and down to achieve the EXACT fstop setting you want without popping and experimenting with light settings.

There's not much to learn about the flash.

Simply walk up to someone and grab both of your trenchcoat lapels with each hand and separate. Hip thrust optional.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back