Masters in Fine Arts Photography Schools??

kasperjd4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Gainesville, St. Augustine & Jacksonville Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I just graduated with my BA and am looking to apply to a MFA program in Photography. I'm looking to specialize in Fashion and commercial photography.

I was wondering who on here has gone to grad school? What were the pros/cons of where you went? Where you would recommend going?

For those who haven't gone to Grad school, where would you go and why?

Location and Cost aren't and issue, but I'd like to stay in the U.S.
Right now I'm planning a trip to go visit the Academy of Art in San Fransisco and the San Fransisco Art Institute in early June.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Hahaha, My only sister just got engaged.... due to marry in October. It's not really my family though, When I was in high school I drifted Pro-Am and made a good bit of money through sponsors. I'm single though ;) hahahaha, well not really...

If you want to be a photographer, a degree doesn't matter. The only thing it can do for you is if you want to teach.

Go be an assistant in Milan if that is still the fashion capital of the world. I'm not big on fashion myself so you want to check if things have changed but Milan used to be where people seriously wanting to become fashion photogs used to go to start their careers.

If you want to be a photographer, a degree doesn't matter. The only thing it can do for you is if you want to teach..

Actually a degree does not matter, if you just want to snap the shutter and you are exceptionally talented and have the "connections" to make a lot of money or you are satisfied with making a low to average salary.

A degree is helpful if you want to go beyond snapping the shutter into photographic/media administration, supervising photographic projects, crews, staff etc., becoming head of a media department in a company with an annual budget, etc. or getting into the area where you define your own role in the company and make a commensurate higher salary.

skieur

Get a masters in business, and learn photography on the side. You'll make a lot more money.

Master in science or fine art doesn't matter.

If you just finished BA, I will recommend you to get a job first. I know it's tough now, but don't let that be your excuse. If you are good, you will have a job.
The reason being graduate programs are really for someone who have specific areas of interest to explore. I am not talking about exploring "fashion" or "product" photography. I am talking about philosophies and how you want to experiment with it through photography. Without real world experience, your theories will not stand the challenges that your peers will face you with. Your thesis will not have the backing in reasoning that you need, and when you leave the graduate program, you will still be as native as the day you started it.

In addition to experimental research and possibly nailing your own style in the trade, MFA gives you the credential to teach in a college. That's pretty much the only practical benefit you get with that degree. However, again, if you don't have real working experience to prove your abilities, with only a degree, you aren't going to get any where, not even a job.

Get a masters in business, and learn photography on the side. You'll make a lot more money.

It depends on what you want to do. An MBA will get you into the executive area where you will be making good money, but you will likely not be involved in photography, rather you will literaly be a business administrator with very different responsibilities.

skieur

Hanging a framed piece of paper on the wall that says I graduated from a photo school doesn't automatically entitle you to a high paying job in photography, all it says is that I graduated from a photo school and now I have to start from the bottom looking for a job. School teaches you the technical side of photography, it doesn't teach you how to suddenly become a successful photographer, only practical work experience and time helps you become a better photographer, but doesn't guarantee success.

Buy a nice frame, one day you may want to put a photo in it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back