Materinty photographs?

butterflygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbymcdonald.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have any tips or suggestions for maternity? I hope to do some for a friend next week and wondered about poses, lighting, backgrounds etc.

Thanks!

Its a bit difficult to say without a Style, but maybee looking at some baby stuff as to buy, or in the nursery painting the walls etc, or just the finishing touches of the cot and bedding with the subjets husband / partner doing all the work whilst she sits and looks on!!

We were thinking of doing some where she's wearing a robe for the bump affect, as well as some casual ones with her wearing a button down shirt and open around her belly.

Also we have some sheer fabric we planned to use in some way as well...drape it around her and such. Does that help?

I'd suggest looking at examples in magazines or on the internet...then just try to emulate the shots that you like.

The key will be getting nice lighting. If you don't have any studio or off-camera lights...I suggest using a large window for light. It may help if you have a location without a distracting background...or maybe you can set up some sort of backdrop.

You will want to avoid on-camera flash...you will probably want to emphasize the shape of her...so you will want to use light that comes from the side...not the direction of the camera. You may want/need to use some sort of reflector for the other side. A white foam core or cardboard will do the trick.

Good point Mike made

Also add some colour as most shots you see are using lost of colour for Babies at the mo ( in UK that is ) maybe as an avenue of a few shots, show both layin on sofa ( couch ) the loving partner with his ears to the belly touching all around, but with the mum to be eating some craving, as a lot of photo's can appear to serious, when the abstract eye approach can make the shot as mums will understand the " oh Ive carried this around " with the partner being " he will play football "

I also saw tonight someone using some plastic pipe and tissue paper costing around $20 to make his own softbox, where you can add some light from behind to give a great Cheap effect, Lighting will be the biggest issue I feel

Cheers Steve

Let us know how it goes please..

Thanks those are all great tips! I appreciate the help.

Do you know where I could get the foam or card board? How big does it need to be?

Or should I just go an get a reflector? What's a decent one to purchase?

Thanks again!

Do you know where I could get the foam or card board
Any good craft store should have it.
How big does it need to be?
The bigger the better...but get what you can.

Photography is one of those things where there are a million different ways to skin the cat. It doesn't really matter how you get there...as long as the result looks good. Often, it's about doing the best that you can with what you have to work with. Be creative and imaginative. Getting good take a lot of practice and experience...so don't expect to be Anne Geddes on your first time out.

Lighting is all calclated in LUX, also in Hottness, Photoshop can adjust both, but if you need to look at what you want then some various lighting positioned around your shoot will help a lot, but the softness you require will take some setting up, have a play before weekend, remember that white surfaces will always add to the shoot as long as positioned well, but also remember that softness and blur are adjustable with PS

You must let us view some resutls ( as long as subject approves )

Natural diffused lighting is good. It is softer on the features, and helps with the complexsion. A large North facing window with a good reflector (Mirror. A2 white card etc etc ). is a very good light source. Mono is an option as the red blotches that a lot of women get during pregnancy are less obvious. And soften things with PhotoShop afterwards if pos..

Here are two samples.
194632341.jpg

194632332.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back