maternity (my first)

manderb1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bollingersphotography.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
They turned out okay. It was a free session to add to my portfolio. Any comments and critiques are welcome!
P1020501.jpg

sepiaP1020501copy.jpg

3 Her and her son
P1020521.jpg

4 he is VERY EXTREMELY shy
P1020515.jpg

P1020518.jpg

ehhh.... I think you've missed the boat on this one. The first view doesnt really "say" anything. I don't find that the pose or clothing are doing anything good... especially the flip-flops.

The rest are some cute snaps of the lil guy.

I think a more comprehensive plan might be in order. Maybe do a "pre-shoot" with a friend before the actual session. Then you can plan around what is working and what isn't.

Good luck!

-Pete

This was a friend. This was a free session before her baby shower just to add some shots to my portfolio. This is what she wanted to wear, so with what I had to work with-that is what I got. I talked w/ her about doing the button down shirt w/ her belly exposed for the more intimate look, but she didn't want her belly exposed, her family would disapprove of it. Plus, her son was MAJOR shy

There is no atmosphere to the shots in #1 and #2, and I think the biggest problem in #3, #4, and #5 is its missing shallow depth of field. Just my opinion though.

If you are using a zoom lens, I would back up quite far and zoom all the way in for shallow depth of field. A good 50mm f/1.8 prime lens works well for shallow depth of field as well.

This is what she wanted to wear, so with what I had to work with-that is what I got. ....her son was MAJOR shy

These are the sort of real-life challenges you'll face as a portrait photographer.

....just to add some shots to my portfolio. This is what she wanted to wear...

So, if you stop and think about THAT, you are depending on others to settle on how YOUR portfolio looks.

I know it's hard. But you will constantly be faced with the choice of keeping or relinquishing control over what your images will be. When someone views your work, they will not be swayed by disclaimers or justifications... only what they SEE will tell them about your work.

Don't loose heart. It's a long journey, and we're all traveling toward something better.

-Pete

These are the sort of real-life challenges you'll face as a portrait photographer.

So, if you stop and think about THAT, you are depending on others to settle on how YOUR portfolio looks.

I know it's hard. But you will constantly be faced with the choice of keeping or relinquishing control over what your images will be. When someone views your work, they will not be swayed by disclaimers or justifications... only what they SEE will tell them about your work.

Don't loose heart. It's a long journey, and we're all traveling toward something better.

-Pete
thanks pete
I'm just going to use these as "temporary" images until I a better opportunity comes along. I wish she was more willing to work w/ me however, I would never ask a client to do something they are not comfortable with.

These look like sunny snap shots. Not a portfolio. The outside shots seem to have little to no thought or composition. Lots of hot spots. Try them again at a later time and watch for shade/sun to get better lighting. And the first one is just, kinda boring.

Hi Manderb1,
I think that first one could have been improved a lot of you had chosen to get in closer and not include her whole body. Normally having your clients stand near a window like that produces some really nice lighting for you. Perhaps if you had stood a lot more to the right and included less of the actual window it would look nicer too.

The outdoor ones do look like snapshots to me as well. I would keep practicing and wait to include some better shots in your portfolio. Try looking around at other photographs that you like and get a better idea for composition.

April

Most reactions

Back