Math test - FAIL

Which is worth more.... $100 in nickels or $100 in quarters?

The nickels are worth (much) more.

$100 in nickels is worth $108. $100 in quarters is worth $20.72. (Yes, that means the metal it takes to make a nickel is worth more than $0.05.)

;)

Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?

Ahh, but once you have spent the time, energy, and other resources to melt and separate the nickel copper alloy into its base metals, would you be able to turn a profit?
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to melt down coins (edit - OK, looks like it IS illegal now, if you make a profit from it. So, I guess you could melt them down and just use the mteal to make something, but not to sell the raw material), but I know people still do it... I think the profit margins would be best on the pre-1982 pennies. Even if you didn't get the full value of the copper out of them, you could still make a profit if you had enough of them. Hell, people steal the wiring out of houses just for the copper, so there's obviously money there...

The nickels probably wouldn't be worth melting down if you had pay someone to melt them for you.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a setup. I have asked many people "what weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of lead?" and gotten way too many wrong answers. ;)

Which is worth more.... $100 in nickels or $100 in quarters?

Boy, that's a tough one! With nickels, you can play the nickel slot machines for hours! But with quarters, you can do laundry...so...if you value entertainment over clean laundry,then the $100 in nickels is worth more. Also, $100 in nickels is FIFTY rolls of coins, whereas $100 in quarters is only TEN rolls of quarters!

Boy, that's a tough one! With nickels, you can play the nickel slot machines for hours! But with quarters, you can do laundry...so...if you value entertainment over clean laundry,then the $100 in nickels is worth more. Also, $100 in nickels is FIFTY rolls of coins, whereas $100 in quarters is only TEN rolls of quarters!

I'd rather have a roll of quarters in each hand if I'm gonna be in a fist-fight with someone trying to steal my gear.

I'd rather have a roll of quarters in each hand if I'm gonna be in a fist-fight with someone trying to steal my gear.

That's what tripods are for.

I think I need a new tripod... Pretty sure a fist with a roll of quarters in it would do more damage than my tripod...

Monopods are better! especially with a spike on one end, and a heavy ball head on the other! Whack 'em... then stab 'em! Game over! ;)

Hold on. Let me take my backpack off.

Wait a minute, I gotta set it down.

Keep your pants on.... I need to unbuckle this tripod.

OK, I have the tripod free now. Would you mind holding still while I hit you?

Nah.... I'll just pull out the .38.

Hold on. Let me take my backpack off.

Wait a minute, I gotta set it down.

Keep your pants on.... I need to unbuckle this tripod.

OK, I have the tripod free now.

That reminds me why I still (even though they would flatten under my gear now) love those light £15 aluminium tripods. Dirt cheap, not that stable and the panning arms unscrew and never screw back in; but darn it they were light enough that you just put your camera on and picked it all up and went shooting. Never needed to take the tripod off.
Unlike those big pro tripods which tend to live on your back and take an age to get out and in position ;)

Most reactions

Back