Matty's Home!

Considering England invented Canada there's no exam for the Brits. You should be askin other immigrants those questions. With the English it's just taking what's theirs already.

All kidding aside I consider those answers just about perfect.

Peanuts said:
Hint: All of these answers can be found in the book How to be a Canadian

Too funny, Peanuts! I didn't know there was such a book 'til I googled it after reading your post. I coulda saved myself the 20 minutes it took me to draft that test, had I known. :roll:

And Arch, oooo, ya missed some easy ones there, eh? But bring a big load of authentic Cadbury's chocolate with you, and you're in.
20.gif

yea so you people dont have cadburys right?....... looks like i have a way into the country then......

so i'v got what it takes to be a canuck...... and i'v got a place to go..... serious anty..... i'll clean your pad for you..... now and then..... just buy me all my food and pay the rent..... we'll get along just fine. :mrgreen:

...... so base, are you losing your british accent yet?..... starting to sound canadian are we? ;) ....... how long does it take for that to happen anyways..... i dont mean like full on canadian..... just so people arn't sure if your british or not?...... or is it easy to avoid the canadian accent all together?

Archangel said:
K... i can do this..... kinda.....

1. What's the capital of Canada? Ottawa, although i dont wanna go there.
2. What is the nickname for a person who is Canadian? canuck
3. With what word should every second sentence end? either sh!t or f***
4. What color and at what temperature is beer to be consumed? Bonus point: were there any spelling mistakes in this question? Amber.. cold.... colour has an effing 'U' in it.
5. If the weather forecast says it's 39 degrees out, is it hot or cold?.. cold, right.
6. What is the greatest Canadian hockey team? (Regional variations may apply here)..... Hockey has summin to do with sticks right?....... its rubbish but i'd probably get into the fighting bits.
7. If you were walking down the street and a man walking in the opposite direction spilled his coffee on you, is the proper Canadian response to:
a) get upset and point out that he has ruined your shirt American
b) jostle his arm so he spills some on himself, to see how he likes it. i'll go for Canadian here
c) cuff him upside the head British
d) apologize profusely and offer to buy him another coffee Also British
8. Be prepared to correctly identify/describe these objects: a wrench - summin you hit people with,
a car trunk - er i think you mean boot,
a car hood - you mean bonnet
an inukshuk- Pardon you
a double double at Tim Hortons- i'll take two
poutine- I think you mean chips.....and before you think crisps.. i mean chips
the game of football - only sport worth watching..... and i dont mean being dressed up in armor chasing an oval ball.
9. Correctly pronounce 'controversy' and 'aluminum' - just have done.... as i speak the queens english.... only not as posh

1) Correct
2) Correct
3) Wrong! If you're me it's right. But I also, among all other canadians, say "EH!" after each sentence. I never noticed I did till I heard I was talking on Skype to some American kid. He noticed I did. I was like woah.
4) Correct, amber (although we don't usually say amber) and cold. (Archangel, of course he new how to spell colour, he's English. They spell it the same way. :p )
5)
WRONG! We use Centigrade system, 39*C is COOKING! Especially for Canada. That's a Toronto heatwave right there.
6)Yes, hockey uses sticks. You'll have to learn all the mechanics properly to become a true Canadian. But at least you got the fighting part right.
7)In fact, you got that right for SOME people. Most would apologize and go across the street from wherever they happen to be to Tim Hortons and get them another double double.
8)Wrench - Correct :p
Trunk - Yes, but you aren't in England anymore.
Hood - Yes, but you aren't in England anymore.
Inukshuk - Stone statue left by Inuit people in Arctic to tell travellers if certain amenities were close by. (i.e. may point to water or shelter)
Double Double - Any hockey mom's dream coffee.
Poutine - Fries(not chips) covered in Gravy and cheese curds. From French Canadian culture.
The Game of Football - Your English Football is SOCCER. NOT FOOTBALL. Mix the two up and you will live in a world of agonizing confusion. All you need to know is the Edmonton Eskimos are the reigning champs and will continue to be this season. :)mrgreen:) The Cup is the Grey Cup. Not the Stanley Cup, which is the coveted trophy in hockey.
9)If you pronounced them with an English accent, you said them wrong.

Archangel said:
yea so you people dont have cadburys right?....... looks like i have a way into the country then......

We've got Cadburys, it just doesn't taste the same. So one of your suitcases better be full of chocolate bars.
3.gif

Archangel said:

so i'v got what it takes to be a canuck...... and i'v got a place to go..... serious anty..... i'll clean your pad for you..... now and then..... just buy me all my food and pay the rent..... we'll get along just fine. :mrgreen:

...... so base, are you losing your british accent yet?..... starting to sound canadian are we? ;) ....... how long does it take for that to happen anyways..... i dont mean like full on canadian..... just so people arn't sure if your british or not?...... or is it easy to avoid the canadian accent all together?

When I moved here I was 11. At age 11, I didn't want to be different at all. So, I adapted very well. Taking on a Canadian accent.

Biggest mistake EVAR. I wish I could legitmately return to an English accent. As it stands, my friends just think I can fake an English accent REALLY well. Usually when I'm drunk I spring it on people.

You don't want to lose the accent trust me.

The way you sound is a guaranteed panty remover.

Got it..... bring chocolate and dont loose the accent..... sounds like a good combo to me....... matty im sorry but your corrections are incorrect.... I know i'd have to adapt my english...... but i could also just keep correcting people..... after all the oxford english dictionary is never wrong :p (j/k)

Like I said. England invented Canada. The queens English was the first.

Having Canadians correct English is funny.

bace said:
Biggest mistake EVAR. I wish I could legitmately return to an English accent. As it stands, my friends just think I can fake an English accent REALLY well. Usually when I'm drunk I spring it on people.

You don't want to lose the accent trust me.

The way you sound is a guaranteed panty remover.

I have a friend who had the exact same thing, he lost his real English accent when he was a kid, but when he was drunk, he would bust it out. He actually sounded like Stewie. It's pretty funny.

Oh and archangel, come on over, everyone loves British accents

photo gal said:
I definitely remember you Matty and it's great to see you around again!! : )

And I definitely remember you Pgal! Thanks!

No no, Canadians are by far right Arch! Don't kid yourself! We may have been invented by the English, but we are more influenced by Americans, keeping our mosaic culture on the other hand. We are UNIQUE! And Oxford? Blah! Merriam Webster's Canadian Dictionary is where it's at!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back