Maui next week, photog packing list?

mommy22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to Maui next week for a week. I am planning to bring my kit 18-55mm and my 50mm and my tripod. I am thinking maybe I may need some filters because it will be very bright. Which filters? I dunno. I was hoping tobe able to buy the Nikon 18-200 before I went but that's not gonna happen so I have to make do with the lenses I have.

Any ideas, tips, or general advice would be great!
Thanks!

A polarizer and a graduated neutral density filter.

Don't forget to shoot in RAW on the important shots so you can recover it easier if you screw up.

I also recommend taking a few plastic ziplock bags large enough to fit your camera and lens. When you leave the hotel room put it in the bag until it adjusts to the outside temperature. It'll prevent the humidity from fogging up your lenses.

The polarizer and neutral density...do you recommend a certain "level" of polarizing/darkness/light blockage ( i can't find the right word...)

The polarizer and neutral density...do you recommend a certain "level" of polarizing/darkness/light blockage ( i can't find the right word...)

Just get a good quality CPL (Circular polarizer) in whatever size your lens is. They don't have a level rating. With the graduated neutral density I would get either a .6 or .9. The .9 will be darker and my recommendation.

Any ideas, tips, or general advice would be great!
Thanks!

swimsuit, sun tan lotion, towel, flip flops, sun glasses, P&S camera is all I would pack.

p!nK

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh yes, I am an avid hiker anyways and when we decided on Maui, I went in search of that book. Do you have a favorite hike? Keep in mind I have a 1 and 2 yr old, so nothing too dangerous.

We are gonna drive over to Hana and do a hike on the way over there, then possibly a hike up on Halekala (sp)...

You are going to have a blast. I just returned from Oahu a few weeks ago. I brought a tripod, but never took it out of the bag, just too big to carry around while on vacation. While one day I specifically went out with my Nikon DSLR, the majority of the pictures were taken with my Canon S90 point and shoot. It was much easier to stick in a pocket.

I brought all of my lenses, but only used the 18-200 and the 8-16. I loved the 8-16, it was my favorite, and spent the most time on the camera. A C-POL is a must!! It really helps with the water and sky.

Have fun, don't forget the sunscreen!! I bought the Oahu version of that guide book, and it was great.

Can't wait to see the photos when you get back.
-Andy

I am planning to bring my kit 18-55mm and my 50mm and my tripod.
When I travel, my rule is to carry only the minimum gear that would allow me to do photography. While I'm sure your 50mm is faster than your 18-55mm, I'd take just the kit lens (as it covers the 50mm focal length). If you have a lens longer than 55mm, I suggest you bring it with you instead.

If, like you said, hiking is in your plans, the lighter your backpack the happier you'll be :)

You'll be around water and you said you'll bring your tripod, so you're almost set to do some beautiful long exposures. If you don't have one yet, you might want to get a neutral-density filter before you set sail.

Enjoy your trip, and post images when you get back.

if I go.. I probbaly wont bring my tripod.... maybe one of those pocket tripod thats tiny.

I'm a total sucker.

I went out and bought an 18-200mm lense for the trip. I figure if I am not impressed with the lense, I will just return it as I have a 30 day grace period...and I bought the protection plan in case something happens to it. I've never spent that much $$$ on a lense so I hope it lives up to it's reputation...

I am hoping for some good water/long exposure shots, some crazy sunset shots, and some beautiful shots of my girls. I did buy a CPL, now I just need to get a NDF...

Most reactions

Back