maybe im wrong but

Jus7 A Phas3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive watched a rewiew video on the nikon D40 because i am thinking about getting a DSLR. Right now i have a N70 which i like alot but i want a DSLR you know lol but anyway the guy on the video showed the ISO options and it only down to 100 and i was wondering if it went any lower for motion blur shots and such, or do the only the high end DSLR's do that. help me out:]

i am not sure i understand your question.

the ISO has an effect with the decision about which fstop/shutter speeds will be available, but it doesn't control motion blur per se.

for myself, that function would not be a deal breaker, but there are other things about that camera that i wouldn't care for; i.e. unable to shoot IR for instance.

don't know if this is much help but i am sure someone else will come along and add some additional information.

Um...ISO doesn't really affect motion blur. Your shutter speed does.

Most DSLRs only go to 100 anyways...
the normal ranges are 100-1600.
Some go to 50 and some go to 3200 or 6400...

ISO has nothin to do with motion blur.
ISO is the light sensitivity. In low light you will need to turn it up so you can get higher shutter speeds if you cant stop down your aperture much, but other than that, it has nothing to do with shutter speed.

oh, and the d40 does up to ISO 1600. but if i were you i would get a rebel xt. its much better for your money, and i would recommend a canon over a nikon any day.

Opinions are like armpits. Everybody has two. From what I've heard and read, the D40 is a cheap way to get into DSLR, but has issues further up the road.
I like my Nikon.

D40 is a great camera, I love mine. It takes great pictures, its light, easy to use, inexpensive. If you came to test the digital waters like me, pick it up, even after I upgrade I am sure I will hold on to my D40 till it dies. If you think your going to want to jump into higher class stuff, and pick up a buncha glass right away... then skip over it.

I have a D40x (as well as a couple of other cameras) and I'm very impressed with it. I use it with both autofocus and manual lenses. Autofocus on the D40/D40x only works with Nikon AF-S and Sigma HSM lenses, but you probably know that already.

If you need a slower shutter speed than you can get with ISO 100 then neutral density filters are probably your best option.

Good luck,
Helen

yeah, sorry guys i relized that after I was talking about it with my mom. I felt pretty dumb ha thanks though guys

I wish i had the money for a D80 or something but the D40x seems like a good substitute

I don't think it was a stupid question. For techical reasons, DSLR cameras only go down to ISO 100 or sometimes 200. If you want less light, as you would get with a lower ISO, you use ND, neutral density, filters. You can stack them to get it as low as you want. If you simply lower the shutter speed you might get blur from camera shake which isn't what you want.

An example of use would be taking photos in bright sunlight of dancers where you want some blur to indicate motion for the dancers or a running horses legs blurred to indicate motion.

Caveat: I'm not a professional photographer and could be wrong.

ISO, does affect motion blur, in a way. ISO is directly related to what size aperture and shutter speed you can use.

if say you wanted to take a 30sec exposure in the middle of the day, a camera with ISO 25 film, F16, 30 second shutter and a ND 8 filter could do it.

for a camera that went down to ISO 100, then you would need something like 3 or 4 ND8 filters to get the same shutter time....

Most reactions

Back