Maybe unicorns and UFOs do exist!

cool! And a 36mp D4X... I wish they had released that first, I would have grabbed it.

Forgive my DX ignorance... Well, my ignorance in general :)

What would a D400 have or do that a D7100 does not have/do? If it's the pro level, why not use a D600 in DX mode?

What would a D400 have or do that a D7100 does not have/do? If it's the pro level, why not use a D600 in DX mode?
A D600 in crop mode only has 16 mp in the cropped area. A 24 mp DX format camera will have the entire resolution of the sensor in the same area. It makes a big difference when you start cropping images.

As to what it will have over the D7100, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The D600 shutter is limited to 1/4000 I could not use it for 70% of my work.

The d600 is actually only 10.3 MP in crop mode. It is 5.5 fps per seconds. As Trever1t stated "it is far from a pro body" in many ways...

The D7100 is closer, however it doesn't have the full Magnesium body which is important to people like me with 6# lenses hanging off of them. It also has a very limited buffer which is important to the wildlife/sports shooters. The D7100 also doesn't have dedicated controls for metering and focus groups and is missing the AF-ON button. Plus some of us just have a pure hatred for the "mode dial".

The D300 when it came out was ahead of it's time. I can't imagine the D400 would be any different and will set the trend of the next wave of d3/5/7 cameras in ISO performance, AF and DR. I'm expecting close to full frame high ISO performance... When the D800 came out the crop mode was 16mp but still offered the high ISO performance, I can't imagine Nikon and their chip partners haven't figured out a way to stretch that performance to 20-24 mp and throw in a dual processor to increase the buffer and shoot 8 FPS in 14 bit raw...

How does Nikon rumours work? do they just keep repeating that 'model DXXX (+1 generation) will be out in the next month or two, maybe 10 weeks, next year at the latest' ad infinitum until it actually happens then it's 'whoop whoop you heard it here first'?

:roll:

I've been following them for the past year and they have a relatively good track record. But of course the D400 has been rumored forever.. They knew about the D7100 like 6-8 weeks before it was announced, but they really thought the D400 would never happen so this news flash today was quite a surprise. I don't know if you Nasim Mansurov at all, but he said he had a leak that announed the D400 would be out in the August-sept timeframe back in end of may... time will tell

A D600 in crop mode only has 16 mp in the cropped area. A 24 mp DX format camera will have the entire resolution of the sensor in the same area. It makes a big difference when you start cropping images.

As to what it will have over the D7100, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Very few, if any lenses on the market can resolve at levels necessary to take advantage of a 24 megapixel DX camera meaningful. An FX sure, no problem, but not DX. 18 is already more than pushing it for mediocre affordable lenses (even stopped down to optimum apertures) and right about at the top range of high end luxury lenses (and not even them wide open, by any means).

Chopping up blur into smaller chunks of blur does not result in actual higher quality crops, so it's definitely a bit gimmicky to go up to 24. And even if lenses will arrive in the future that can resolve at that level across a wide range of apertures, you won't own that body anymore anyway.

Most reactions

Back