Me and My Canon: C & C Please!

bp4life71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Weather cleared up and was able to take some some scenery pictures. Just bought my camera a few days ago and I am a complete rookie. I'm posting some photos to see what you think. C and C is welcomed!

3933125408_37f386a635_b.jpg

3933125686_ea89b6a1f1.jpg

3932343973_aa95c85c1b_b.jpg

3932345833_a1b0d6c40d_b.jpg

3933127162_d46eef5097.jpg

All of these were taken with my canon xs. I love my new hobby, working with the creative modes.....no automatic for me anymore. I am liking the control you have over the outcome of the pictures. The last photo has some photoshop to it...but just the sky. It was a little too white for my liking so I spruced it up a bit. Just started using photoshop this week also!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice photos! #1, 2 and 4 are my favorites. The other two don't grab my attention. #3, something is off composition wise,my eye doesn't know which tree to look at, and the funky leaves at the top of the left one are where I land. I wish I had advice on better composition, but I don't. Im still learning in that area! Over all, very nice shots! Keep it up!

Thanks for looking! I have done so much reading on taking photos in hopes that eventually i'll take alot better shots. Truth be told, I probably snap an average of 25 pictures for every picture I deem "good". Glad its not film photography or I'd go broke!

Yes Sir I am. I have bought books, done alot of web reading, and generally spending alot of time learning about photography. Before last week, I didn't even know what a dslr was. All I ever owned was little point and shoots that I hardly ever used. This will never be a business though, this is simply for fun and I'm enjoying it. Now I just need to add some extra lenses! I am digging the kit lense for now though, it is doing everything I have tried so far.

I just bought a slightly used 50mm f1.8 this week from my local camera shop for $70.00. If you haven't heard anything about these yet it is probably the best bang for the buck for a beginner as far as a lens goes. I know the pros seem to like them too.

Yes. I have definitly heard about that lense. I will pick it up eventually, but i'll be wanting to put that 70-100 dollars towards the 70-300 IS tele that canon makes....thats around 560.00.

After I get the 70-300, the 50 will be my next purchase. Thanks for pointing it out, by all accounts, the 50 is supposed to be big bang for the buck.

1. beautiful image and I like the composition a lot.

2. looks a little out of focus and the tree branches in the upper right really don't add to the image in my opinion.

3. awfully busy with all the boat masts and low bushes in the background and the lumpy stuff on the tree trunks and the palm{?}leaves on the trees. The eye really doesn't know what to focus on.

4. I like this one and how the grass hits the grass in the foreground. Nice composition on this also.

5. The foreground really seems underexposed in this and the color looks a bit off in the sky as well. And again I'm not quite sure what I should be looking at - the boats, the bridge or the sky....

You're off to a good start though. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back