Meager attempt at moon shot for C&C, please

MonicaBH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
More north of south, but more south of north.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

moonshot by monicabh, on Flickr

ISO: 100
SS: 1/400
Aperture: 5.6
Sigma 70-300mm

Minor PP & crop in LR3.

It's just another shot of the moon, but after my first very overexposed attempts, I was pretty happy with this. (And spare the mocking of my watermark. I just got LR3 and was playing around in it.
:p)

You will probably get better detail at F8! You have plenty of DOF at F5.6... but your lens is not as sharp there as it will be at F8 to F11. Tripod highly recommended. It still looks a bit bright!

this was shot 400mm.... 1/80, F8, ISO 100.

6338681538_14ff5d5253_b.jpg

Moon November 06 2011 by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for the input. I actually did use a tripod for this.

My next attempt will be at a smaller aperture. I'm not really sure why I shot it at f5.6... It certainly wasn't because I was looking for DoF!

Thanks again.

You will probably get better detail at F8! You have plenty of DOF at F5.6... but your lens is not as sharp there as it will be at F8 to F11. Tripod highly recommended. It still looks a bit bright!

I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but will a smaller aperture give me more detail? Or would I need a longer focal length in addition to different settings?

A combination of the two, but I would suggest starting with a longer focal length.

Welp, that is out of the question, as 300mm is as far as I can go. I'll continue to work on aperture and SS with hopes for the best, given what I have.

Thank you.

300 is fine.. you an get good detail out of it, just do a good crop!. You need to maximize the sharpness of the photos.. by shooting at f8 to F11. Use a tripod with either a remote, or the self timer... to get rid of all movement. Use mirror lockup if you know how to.

If you want detail, do NOT shoot a full moon, as the lighting on the moon is pretty flat at that time. Shoot a 3/4 or half moon. That way there will be shadows you can pick up.

This was shot at 300! The reason it does not have the detail of the other shot, is because it was almost a full moon... flat lighting.
Moon800.jpg

The only reason you need to stop down a couple of stops, is to get in the "Sweet spot" of your lens... it is not as sharp at 5.6 as it will be at F8 to F11.

Your shot above is still overexposed too.. if you want detail, bring it down a couple of stops...

Last edited:
Looks very 2 dimensional, maybe add some fill flash from the left.

If you want detail, do NOT shoot a full moon, as the lighting on the moon is pretty flat at that time. Shoot a 3/4 or half moon. That way there will be shadows you can pick up.

Thanks, I was wondering how you did that.

Edit: dang....no moon out tonight.

Thanks, I was wondering how you did that.

Edit: dang....no moon out tonight.

Go for it, Desi! Have fun.. post 'em up for us, too! (seems like there are little "tricks" to everything, right?) lol!

MY GOD...

I can see the freaking flag Apollo left o_O

What's the point of a tripod when her shutter speed is 1/400? Isn't that faster than any camera shake even at 300mm? I'm sure this is a dumb question, but that's what internet forums are for right?

I love moon shots. Too much zoom ruins it sometimes. Better to crop it later in editing software. :)

Orbit.

What's the point of a tripod when her shutter speed is 1/400? Isn't that faster than any camera shake even at 300mm? I'm sure this is a dumb question, but that's what internet forums are for right?

Mainly because she would be better off with a slower shutter speed, and a smaller aperture!

I forgot to mention also.. she should spot meter.. on the moon! Make for a much more accurate exposure! Or use the sunny16 rule!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back