Mediaeval churches - HDR

john.margetts

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My main interest in photography is mediaeval churches. We have very many of these in Lincolnshire, including 24 that have been declared redundant but are still consecrated churches. I am attempting to photograph all these last to produce a photo essay of each.

The one recurring problem I have is that of dynamic range. The buildings are cruciform with a tower which leaves a lot of internal corners, all lit by small windows which are themselves very bright. I am learning to deal with this using HDR techniques - I am using the software that came with my Canon 650D which is easy to use and does not give me that HDR look. Here is a sample (Lincoln cathedral south transept - actually better lit than most churches).
23ae63a2f6f9d3be451bdb4a262fa79f.jpg

I am more than open to helpful suggestions as to how I can improve the results in difficult conditions.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

Get software that will extend the range.

I think if you offer money, the stewards will let you use a tripod. (some will, some may not)

Beautiful stained glass mural! I like the subject you're shooting. Maybe in your next attempt try to get the rose window in its entirety or do a separate shot of the window

There are quite a few free packages that do HDR.
The package I've used most recently is Dynamic-Photo HDR which works on either multiple shots as std HDR or a single exposure & just giving a pseudo HDR.
With the better software you can get a large range of effects from a subtle photographic look to the OTT stuff you often see on-line. Well worth a play - churches are just the sort of subject HDR works best at.

As above you need the right software i have a friend at our camera clug that goes all over the country shooting church interiors and he is very good i think he uses photoshop to blend about 6 exposures together, i am also atracted the churches to shoot especially church doors
You should reconise this place

scan424-XL.jpg

This doesn't look well done at all.

The windows are blown out and the rest of the image just looks pushed too far -- like it wasn't well exposed to being with. Then you still have a big area of complete blackness center frame.

get better software and still aim for that "not HDR look".

Get software that will extend the range.

I think if you offer money, the stewards will let you use a tripod. (some will, some may not)
I always use a tripod - in the cathedral, no permission is required, nor in most churches I shoot in but some do have a small charge.

Beautiful stained glass mural! I like the subject you're shooting. Maybe in your next attempt try to get the rose window in its entirety or do a separate shot of the window
Cannot get it all in in one shot as there is a limit on where I can stand and the rose window is a long way from the floor.

As above you need the right software i have a friend at our camera clug that goes all over the country shooting church interiors and he is very good i think he uses photoshop to blend about 6 exposures together, i am also atracted the churches to shoot especially church doors

scan424-XL.jpg
Yes, one of the better Victorian renovations in the south-east transept doorway.

This doesn't look well done at all.

The windows are blown out and the rest of the image just looks pushed too far -- like it wasn't well exposed to being with. Then you still have a big area of complete blackness center frame.

get better software and still aim for that "not HDR look".
My trouble was that I was in the cathedral when I took the exposures but at home when I processed them. As I cannot process the photos in the cathedral, I am going to have to make a number of trips to finesse the pictures. When I am in the redundant churches I can do at least some elementary processing so the job will be easier.

scan424-XL.jpg
Yes, one of the better Victorian renovations in the south-east transept doorway.

All mine are shot on film but I do have a Sony A7 that is good for church interiors

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have a lot of success photographing details with film - carvings and such - but they have a much lower dynamic range than shots including windows.

I much prefer film here some of Southwell Minster with film

Reala film, much nicer colour than digital
scan011-XL.jpg

and a crop of above
scan011-L.jpg

HP5

scan005-XL.jpg

Sony A7 just one shot adjusted very quickly, i took this shot just to see what it could do

Before
DSC00856_1-XL.jpg

After very quick levels adjustment
DSC00856-XL.jpg

Last edited:
My trouble was that I was in the cathedral when I took the exposures but at home when I processed them. As I cannot process the photos in the cathedral, I am going to have to make a number of trips to finesse the pictures. When I am in the redundant churches I can do at least some elementary processing so the job will be easier.

well you need to make sure you capture the exposures you need. you should at least have 1 frame that has the windows exposed properly...then combine it with the others.

I much prefer film here some of Southwell Minster with film
]

What film camera are you using? I have been using a Canon 50e with Foma film but I shall be trying my "new" Bronica ETRs soon, again with Foma film.

Southwell Minster is on my list but every time I go they have something on - an excellent photo exhibition on one occasion.

Most reactions

Back