Medium Format 645 film

Jumpmaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Years ago I bought a Mamiya 645 w/leaf shutter. It's the first model out, 500 top shutter no meter. I don't know why but I only shot 1 roll of 220 film, which came out well for a beginner, and then I lost interest. Lately my interest has been rekindled to the point of buying another Mamiya 645E and...a Pentax 645N. Both of which are pristine and the price was right. Anyway, not to start any disagreements, but my observation is this. The Pentax I believe is a better camera than the Mamiya 645E. However, I confess to liking the Mamiya more. I'm curious to know what the more experienced MF shooters feel. My journey started in 1968 military service. A combat photographer was assigned to our company and we became friends. I've come all the way with Nikons since then even trying digital but somehow film still appeals to me. How does the field think about this?

I have no experience with the Pentax but I have owned 3 Mamiya cameras over the years - a 645, RZ67 and C330 TLR. All were bomb proof - professional grade all the way. Nothing wrong with liking Mamiya cameras. The RZ was my most used system. I used it in the studio, on-site or anywhere it was needed. It was a precision instrument and optically outstanding. I didn't use the 645 mostly because I got better results with the RZ. Pentax medium format had a serious following back in the day. I didn't own one but I know several pros who did. Fine camera. As to using film, it is not for me. Digital is superior in every respect. All my film cameras are long gone.

I have long been a Pentax shooter, though I've never had a Pentax medium format. I know they are very capable cameras with beautiful lenses, but I can't speak to them from personal experience. I do have a Mamiya 645 ProTL and I love it. They're solid cameras and have a long history of quality.

Basically, what I say is that the 'better' camera is the one that you respond to and enjoy using, so if you are finding yourself drawn to the Mamiya, then stick to that. You'll be more likely to use it, for one thing, and I feel that you'll get better results from the camera that 'fits' you than one that doesn't.

Most reactions

Back