Medium format camera suggestions

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, a while back I bought a Yashica LM. Takes great pictures, that is when I can get the settings correct for shutter speed and apature. I was wondering if someone made a MF TLR that uses a light meter similar to those used on a Pentax K1000. I figure that if I can see what settings I need to be using, that I will be able to use that LM a bit easier, too. Any suggestions?

I suggest that you consider getting a separate exposure meter. You are then no longer dependent on the one built into the camera. It's a lot easier to check highlights and shadows with a separate meter. The meter will give you a choice of various aperture/shutter speed combinations, too.

Torus34 said:
I suggest that you consider getting a separate exposure meter. You are then no longer dependent on the one built into the camera. It's a lot easier to check highlights and shadows with a separate meter. The meter will give you a choice of various aperture/shutter speed combinations, too.

I agree.

But I was kinda hoping for something that I can use a bit more on the fly, so to speak. And besides, i'm not worried about being dependant on a meter. I'm dependant on lots of things already. One more won't hurt. :p

Well its not a TLR, but the Pentax 67 MF camera is kinda like a big K1000 Even has a matched needle meter just like a K1000... just mentioning it since you seem to like the K1000.

nealjpage said:
Well, a while back I bought a Yashica LM. Takes great pictures, that is when I can get the settings correct for shutter speed and apature. I was wondering if someone made a MF TLR that uses a light meter similar to those used on a Pentax K1000. I figure that if I can see what settings I need to be using, that I will be able to use that LM a bit easier, too. Any suggestions?

YashicaMat 124G? I've got one going spare, absolutely perfect mint condition, only had four rolls through it, light meter working perfectly in that manner (needle, loop), original manual included. Yours for only £100 + shipping. :)

/end plug!

Rob

What if I wanted to save a bit of money. Should I look into Rollei? Do any of them have a built in meter?

nealjpage said:
What if I wanted to save a bit of money. Should I look into Rollei? Do any of them have a built in meter?

Save a bit of money and Rollei don't belong in the same train of thought. :lol:

I'm still a backer of the handheld meter. We have a built in meter on our Yashica and it seriously takes more time to work it out on that than it would with a handheld. After a while you get used to what light does what on the film and start just dialing them in by instinct and if you start using a light meter, it will become second nature as well and it will seem to be more on-the-fly.

+1 for the light meter train of thought, but it would be a nice convenience i agree! i have a yashica 635 and there have been times when i wanted to capture something that wasnt permanent, and lost the shot cause i had to meter

I metered with my 35mm for a long time when shooting with my 124g. But the light meter on the 124G was spot on 95% of the time. So, now I just use it. And it's extremely easy to use--twist two dials to get the needle and the haystack to line up.

It also happens to be my favorite camera, and one of my prized possessions.

55957389.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back