Medium Format Cameras?

Well, I have a long way to go before I decide to "go pro" and hang out a shingle.

I'm sure I'll pi$$ through several cameras before I find one that fit my particular taste and style.

Mamiya TLRs like the C330 have interchangeable lenses, so you could use wide-angle and portrait lenses too. They do however look quite a bit heavier than most TLRs. The Seagull I'm sure would do the job, but I'm not sure the quality of the glass would be as good as that on the old TLRs by Yashica, Mamiya, Ricoh, Minolta etc.

I owned a couple of seagulls when they first hit the american market.. the glass was adaquate the mechanics were pretty bad. At the time they were being made in a state factory with politcal prisoner labor... the quality control was non existant. I am sure if they are still being made they are better now.

I'm a little biased because I just got a Yashica Mat 124 G on ebay a couple weeks ago for $51.00. I love it, and don't know of a way to beat the quality for the price. Of course, I'd love a Rollei, but I'll never find one that cheap.

Here's mine:

224884688_d1d5a6ea5d.jpg

Sample photos:

99966946_dac952eedf.jpg

225892347_e8d0ff22fb.jpg

225892772_222f9fe244.jpg

234578738_a082c730c4.jpg

235421033_d66a60dbf9.jpg

Luke_H said:
I'm a little biased because I just got a Yashica Mat 124 G on ebay a couple weeks ago for $51.00. I love it, and don't know of a way to beat the quality for the price. Of course, I'd love a Rollei, but I'll never find one that cheap.

Your photos look great. A Rolleiflex with a Planar or Xenotar lens can go upwards of $600, but I don't think you'd see a $549 between the image quality comparing your camera and a Rollei (if you could see any difference at all).

Never say never, and keep your eyes peeled. I got my Rolleiflex Planar with a whole bunch of accessories for $150 at a charity garage sale. Not quite $50, but one of the best deals I've ever found.

I got my Kiev a couple days ago. I've shot one roll with it so far. Going up to the school in a bit to develop it. I'll let you know how it shot...or rather how I shot with it.

If I did okay, I'll post a couple prints...

Luke_H said:
I just got a Yashica Mat 124 G

Get a lens hood for your camera, and you'll get better contrast and color. I think the Yashicas all use size bayonet 1, or bay 1. I'm just making an assumption from the photo that you don't already have one; I can't tell from the quality of your photos. But you might be able to with a direct comparison with lens hood vs. without.

I don't have one. I'd like to get a rectangle hood along with some filters and perhaps a close-up kit. I just patiently surf ebay for good prices on most of the stuff though. My cheapie Epson scanner might be partially to blame, however.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ksmattfish said:
Never say never, and keep your eyes peeled. I got my Rolleiflex Planar with a whole bunch of accessories for $150 at a charity garage sale. Not quite $50, but one of the best deals I've ever found.

wow, my best buy so far was a Contax 159 MM for 6 euros. btw.did I mention that it became my fav. 35 SLR? (would love to have a RTS2)

Okay, so as a result of this thread I went out and got myself a 124G. Seems to be in reasonably good shape although there is a small amount of corrosion in the battery chamber so I might be out of luck with the light meter. What batteries are people using with any success?

It was quite dirty when I got it, most of the exterior stuff has cleaned up very nicely, and thank god the lenses seem fine. The one remaining problem is the focusing screen, which is filthy. Is it safe to use something like lens paper on that? If not is there any hope for cleaning it?

Thanks.

Dave

this is my latest medium format camera.... body is a polaroid model 80a... lens is a 6.3 anastigmat from a kodak 620 tourist... the film holder is a graflex roll film holder for 6x7 on 120 film. Took about four hours to asemble.

polaroid under $10 including shipping.
kodak camera $11 including shipping.
film back $25 approx I have had it a while.

qualities strong frame.... best bellows available in my opinion.... lens is shart as a tack and minimal alterations needed.
back is 120 the ideal 6x7 format....
in expensive..

Negatives. No rangefinder..... no x sync.... Gotta be a retro guy for this one.

image3_9380.jpg

selmerdave: I have no idea if the light meter on my 124G works. I just use sunny 16 with it. Even if I purchased the spendy zinc air batteries, they don't last long. I shoot 100 speed film during the day.. So far, so good.

Most reactions

Back