Medium Format in Your Pocket

I am thinking that camera is from the early 40's or earlier. There is no PC contact available for flash. Is the lens coated? I have some old Retinas, Balda, Agfa, and other folders that I still enjoy using. It seemed to be after WW II that the PC came into almost universal use. With an uncoated lens you just have to watch out for lens flare from stray light getting in from different angles. Go to the website for "Camera collecting and restoration" and you will find many tips on old cameras and also repairs. I have used many of the tips there to repair some of my old cameras.

Thanks for your replies. Camera does have PC contact and some lens coating. I usually shoot a test into the sun to see how a camera behaves so here is one straight from the scanner. I have a question about the PC socket so will post in another fourm. $img069 - Copy.jpg

Not bad.
Happy New Year everybody !

That's not a medium format in my pocket.....I'm just happy to see you.:wink:

Ah, I have a similar camera, it shoots 120. Thank you for giving me an excuse to take a picture of it :sexywink: I really need to take some pictures with this.

TYZ37.jpg

Have one similar tevo probably newer, sold in canada with EKC Hawkeye brand. By all means take it for a drive. Expect slightly soft focus and contrast.$img072.jpg

Nice shots. Imagine that... No LED's, dials, displays, compensators or zooms. This is from a time when it was still "photography", not computer wizardry.
It reminds me a lot of my very first "real" camera. The Ansco Viking 6.3. I was probably about 12 or 13 when my dad gave it to me along with one of his old Weston meters.
Here's the Ansco Viking..

I just brought one of these back from Phoenix a couple weeks ago and shot a roll up at the meteor crater past Flagstaff. Fun little camera. I'll post the results when I develop it.

I use an Ansco Speedex Special "R" for the same thing. Medium format in my jacket pocket. I bought it when I passed 75 years old...little lighter to carry than a Speed Graphic 4X5. Unfortunatly, it's roll film, so no developing sheets one at a time. 12 exposures..takes me a month to do that many. (I don't shoot 'till I think I've got something.) I've had good results with Arista edu. ultra 100 asa from freestyle. I exposed it at asa 64. So now, within 50' of my pick-up 4X5, 5X7, or 8X10. Farther than 50 feet, Ansco Speedex. I really like those photos from the rockies. Very nice composition, in focus, good exposure.

Thank you premortho for your comments. I haven't used this camera or any of my old folders for quite some time. All have suffered from inactivity and storage, many including the Ensign have bellows issues. dxq's suggestion to use liquid electrical tape is working so far on a Kodak so the Ensign is next.

The Ansco sounds like a winner. Wish my collection had a few more rangefinders.

This is a pocket 120 camera of mine, a Zenobia by Daiichi Kogaku. It's a 6x4.5 format folder with a nice 75mm f/3.5 lens (Tessar type) with shutter from 1 sec to 1/500. It's hefty and very well made (comparable to Zeiss quality) and available at reasonable prices due to it being a bit obscure:

zen3lt6.jpg

A rangefinder version was also made but is pricier and fairly rare.

I recently got started collecting folders. I saw a source for a wrap to use around existing bellows but will have to look up the info. I think Bostick & Sullivan have a patching kit.

Sharon View attachment 37739

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back