Medium Format Negative Scanning

Tegs O'Reilly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am looking to purchase a negative scanner for scanning 120 films to my Mac/Photoshop.

Having looked around, I have seen a vast difference in price range.

I have seen scanners such as the Epson F3200/4870s, which claim to handle 120 film, I have seen flatbed scanners, such as the Canon Canoscans, which claim the same. These seem to be within my price range (£250-500).

I have also seen some scanners priced at £1-2k, which is way above what I can afford to pay.

Would the cheaper Epson/Canon scanners produce good results for me? If so, are there any other scanners in the price range that will be better?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Take a look at Heidelberg scanners.
They start of high end amateur/low end professional and go on up.
Some models are capable of scanning transparencies and will handle 10x8 neg/tranny easily. Will also take a bunch of 35mm neg strips and produce a contact sheet. All this with normal scanning facilities too.
Linotype-Hell software for it is professional level and produces excellent results with an incredible amount of control - and they work a like a dream with Mac's.
They start quite cheaply too.
Not as good as a good dedicated film scanner on 35mm - but they will cope with most needs and perform well with large format.
Well worth considering as they are very versatile. It always amazes me that so few photographers know about them .
This will give you some idea of what's around
http://www.epinions.com/Scanners--reviews--heidelberg--prices--2400_dpi_or_more

thanks hertz. they do seem to able to cope with my needs.

i'm going to undergo thorough 'independent product research' (search for stuff on google) and compare results.

I will post these results on here for anyone who is interested in my opinion...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back