Meeting the parents

well you have a ten year head start on her there! hehe ;)

Actually more than that if you take into account this nasty smoking habit of mine. :(

sorry, that made me laugh. :lol:

But seriously -- approval of parents is overrated in my opinion. Hop on a motorcycle, get the girl on the back, and drive into the sunset. And by sunset I mean Canada, because everyone knows Canada is pretty cool. :)

I've got approval, it's all good, but Canada is not that far away. In fact Her mother was telling me they got lost and ended up at Lake Erie the other day.

I think if your intentions are good and so are hers, and your not about to run off to vegas and elope, then it is ok,
there are so many 15-20 year olds who look and act much older than they are, it sometimes suprises me when i find out the age of people.
I am 26 and when I think back at my self being 17 there was no way I was mature enough to realise what i wanted from a realationship-I actually had my first serios relationship that lasted 5 years i was 17 he was 21, but I think I alwasy knew he wasnt going to be the one I married.
I think you are more likely to get hurt than her, as you may be at the age where you want a steady relationship and you want to settle down maybe? but she in a couple of years will wonder what she is missing....

I wish you luck in your relationship but I'd like to say I come from an interesting point of view.

I am 37 but at one time I was that 16 year old girl who was dating a 25 year old guy. I knew it all let me tell you! I ended up married 6 months before I gave birth to our first child when I was 18. I was crazily in love.
The years wore on, we had a second child. I didnt know it in my early 20's but I wasnt happy. I know that sounds crazy but its true. I felt as though I had to grow up so fast and being a wife & mom I wasnt able to form my own identity. Dont get me wrong, being a mom was the best thing that ever happened to me even if it did happen sooner than it should've but thats not my point here. (and I realize you aren't driving to the wedding chapel or picking out names yet but we didnt either at first, be careful!)`

At 28 I left him. It took me years afterwards to find "me". Its not the age difference that is a possible detriment, it is the stage in life. I know you said you are "younger" than your age, but what happens in 5 years (if you are still a couple) and she is maturing?
I think the key to you 2 being able to make it is taking it slow which it sounds like you're trying to do. Trust me, do not "smother" her and try to control her. Let her feel free to mature and be who she wants to be in the next few years. Communicate, LET her communicate with you.

I am remarried now to a guy 9 years older than me. We met when we both knew who we were, so to speak. There is NO way a 17 year old knows herself yet, or what she wants out of life, or who she wants to spend the rest of her life with. Oh let me tell you she will tell you she knows, I did too, but she doesnt have a clue to how much she will change over the next 10 years.

Good luck to the both of you! You really sound like you know how to articulate what you feel which can be rare and that is a huge plus.
I hope i didnt get too "deep" just trying to give you another point of view. I do wish you luck!! Just dont let your heart (or any other part of your body:lol:) lead you down a road that doesnt feel right, trust your instincts.

Wellllll......I'd like to know everyones opinion when their DD is 17 and dating a man 10 years older than she is...... *Shiver*

I wish you luck in your relationship but I'd like to say I come from an interesting point of view.

I am 37 but at one time I was that 16 year old girl who was dating a 25 year old guy. I knew it all let me tell you! I ended up married 6 months before I gave birth to our first child when I was 18. I was crazily in love.
The years wore on, we had a second child. I didnt know it in my early 20's but I wasnt happy. I know that sounds crazy but its true. I felt as though I had to grow up so fast and being a wife & mom I wasnt able to form my own identity. Dont get me wrong, being a mom was the best thing that ever happened to me even if it did happen sooner than it should've but thats not my point here. (and I realize you aren't driving to the wedding chapel or picking out names yet but we didnt either at first, be careful!)`

At 28 I left him. It took me years afterwards to find "me". Its not the age difference that is a possible detriment, it is the stage in life. I know you said you are "younger" than your age, but what happens in 5 years (if you are still a couple) and she is maturing?
I think the key to you 2 being able to make it is taking it slow which it sounds like you're trying to do. Trust me, do not "smother" her and try to control her. Let her feel free to mature and be who she wants to be in the next few years. Communicate, LET her communicate with you.

I am remarried now to a guy 9 years older than me. We met when we both knew who we were, so to speak. There is NO way a 17 year old knows herself yet, or what she wants out of life, or who she wants to spend the rest of her life with. Oh let me tell you she will tell you she knows, I did too, but she doesnt have a clue to how much she will change over the next 10 years.

Good luck to the both of you! You really sound like you know how to articulate what you feel which can be rare and that is a huge plus.
I hope i didnt get too "deep" just trying to give you another point of view. I do wish you luck!! Just dont let your heart (or any other part of your body:lol:) lead you down a road that doesnt feel right, trust your instincts.

Good post!!!

It's posts like yours and the one Rachelsne made that I apprieciate the most, it gives me insight I would not have other wise ;). It's in my nature to be overly analitical....That said I tend to analyse the posts and compare to the situation at hand, making them almost impossible to reply to as I tend to go off on details and findings that yall technically don't need and/or want to know. So, no, it's not too deep.

I just wonder, why you dated a girl who's 10 years younger than you? No offense, but ofcourse her parents wouldn't allow her to date you if you had couple of chit chats with her mom and her boyfriend when you're drunk. It just made the mom think that you are not just right for their daughter. But you know what? Try to tell the girl's parents that you don't have any bad intention for their daughter. Well, I just hope you'd tell us what happened.:wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back