Megapixels vs other stuff....

JAC526

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So in looking at buying a dslr camera it appears that I can find comparably priced entry level models with a higher megapixel rating as well as semi-pro models with lower megapixel ratings.

My question is: How important is the effective megapixels a camera has?

Is this more important the the added functionality and build quality of a semi-pro camera?

For example I'm looking at a D200 with 10.2 MP and a d5100 with 16.2 MP?

Which one makes more sense for someone who shoots nature and portraits mostly?

Thanks guys,

Joe

I think I would take a d90/80 over both of those. Used starting for around $300-$599

Of the two cameras you mention I would imagine the d5100 would likely have somewhat better image performance simply because it is a much newer sensor. However, not everything hinges on a camera's sensor. Such things as functional controls, build quality, useful features, adaptability, ease and rapidity of use, system compatibility, etc, are just as important. Some features more than others, depending on your needs and preferences.

Of the 2 cameras you mention, the d200 beats out the d5100 on quite a few of these other features.

Yep. I would pick the D200 because it has the CCD image sensor, which allows using ISO 100.

Landscapes are done in daylight and portraiture is done using good light too, so high ISO is not needed.

Important to me would be the magnesium metal-alloy body of the D200 that keeps stray electromagnetic inferference out of the camera, while adding to its durability.

Next in importance is the D200 has 2 command wheels, a plethora of external buttons and controls making it so much easieer to change settings, and and a top LCD.

By the way I have the D200's big brother, a like new Nikon D300 for sale: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ikon-d300-zeikos-vertical-grip-plus-more.html

Last edited:
Yep. I would pick the D200 becuase it has the CCD image sensor, which allows using ISO 100.

Landscapes are done in daylight and portraiture is done using good light too, so high ISO is not needed.

Important to me would be the magnesium metal-alloy body of the D200 that keeps stray electromagnetic inferference out of the camera, while adding to its durability.

Next in importance is the D200 has 2 command wheels, a plethora of external buttons and controls making it so much easieer to change settings, and and a top LCD.

By the way I have the D200's big brother, a like new Nikon D300 for sale: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ikon-d300-zeikos-vertical-grip-plus-more.html

This is the second time in one of my threads you've mentioned the D300....Would love to buy it.

999 is too expensive for me.

Sorry

What do you think about a D80 with a 50mm Nikkor D series f/1.8 for 300 bucks?

What's your best price on the D300?

Sorry, I won't negotiate with myself, but will entertain a reasonable offer.

Other people read the thread so I am in effect offering my D300 to anyone else that reads the thread.

Yep. I would pick the D200 becuase it has the CCD image sensor, which allows using ISO 100.

This is the second time in one of my threads you've mentioned the D300....Would love to buy it.

999 is too expensive for me.

Sorry

What do you think about a D80 with a 50mm Nikkor D series f/1.8 for 300 bucks?

Is the Nikkor d series the metal one, or the $135 made in china one?

I think it's a good deal, I have the D90, the bigger sister of the D80
I've used the d80 before, it worked really well for me.

KmH,

When I'm actually in a position to buy...if its still available I'll shoot you a PM with an offer.

Patrick,

No clue where the D series is made.

D is plastic and made in china.

Around 125.00 new.

I think it's a pretty decent deal
On avg, that camera and lens should go for about $400 give or take.

Find out how many shutter actuations it has.

My opinion on the matter is if you are not going to be doing major photography, the 10mp will suit you just fine for what you stated you want to do with it. Save yourself some money, gain some more experience, then can always upgrade later when ready.

I think it primarily matters when looking at different sensor sizes. For example, I would have rather spent $1000 on a 5D classic with its lower res full-frame sensor over the 60D with its crop sensor, but I didn't do my homework there (but I'd still take the 7D over either one).

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

Most reactions

Back