Megapixels???

KaraM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not knowing anything about digital photography (yet), what's the advantages of having a camera with more megapixels? Is there really that much difference between 4, 6 and 10 megapixels?

~Kara

More megapixels means you can get larger prints, or crop more with less degradation of quality. 6 is kind of the semi-pro minimum these days, anything less and printing gets pretty limited. THere's a sizable difference between 6 and 10, though there is very little between 6 and 8 or 8 and 10.

BTW, welcome!

Welcome to the forum.

There isn't as much difference as the camera companies would like us to think. There are plenty of other things that contribute to image quality.

I think the biggest advantage to more megapixels is that it's easier to make large prints and/or give you more leeway to crop your images.

I more important factor, IMO, is the physical size of the camera's sensor. Digital SLR cameras have a much larger sensor than 99.9% of digital cameras....which is one reason that a DSLR can give you better image quality, especially at high ISO levels.

Some people will say that there is little need to get more than 6 or 8 mega pixels on cameras like the Nikon D70 & D50 and Canon 20D & 30D...as you can make rather large prints from those cameras. However, more is usually better.

One thing that comes into play is when they cram all those megapixels into a small sensor. For example, a small digi-cam with 8 mega pixels...will most likely exhibit a fair amount of digital noise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back