Meike MK-910 on a Nikon D7000

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey everyone i was looking to buy a MK-910 Flash for the nikon D7000 can i have some input on this flash before i purchase one and also is it better then the sb-910 nikon or is it just about the same i would love to hear what everyone thinks or if you have used a MK-910 how good did it preform on a Nikon body.

Nikon's SB-900 will be able to do more, more accurately than any 3rd party flash unit can, because the Nikon flash is fully conversant with Nikon's flash to camera communication protocol.
Meike has to reverse engineer Nikon's communication protocol and is not likely to nail it.

That said, that the Meike 910 costs something like $400 less than the Nikon SB-910 makes it easy to justify buying the Meike flash even if it does not perform quite as good as the Nikon unit.

i really think nikon over prices their products have you used a mk-910???

That may be your impression, but Nikon continues to sell their products to people who are willing to pay.

The Nikon OEM equipment is generally regarded as long term, maintainable and highly reliable equipment.
Whereas many of the 3rd party ones are considered throwaway if it stops working.

My Yongnuo flash was cheap and pretty good. But has a consistency issues in regards to flash output. I use it as my background flash, the other 3 flashes - Key, fill, hair are all Nikon ones. In my photos you can definitely tell when the BG flash output isn't the same, and you have to scrap that photo.

I want to replace that one Yongnuo .. sooner or later when I have the spare $$ to. Until then I just deal with knowing the reliability & consistency doesn't seem to be 100%.

Also, do not expect a 1 to 1 comparison on features. The 3rd party flash may be missing certain features. They do a good job of replicating functionalities though.

i just need something to get by for like a 1 year or so until i get enough money to buy the sb 910 i dont want to keep the mk-910 for the rest of my life thats for sure i really wanted a CL-180 Flash :) but out of stock.

Wow, what a knock off. It has been my experience with these types of products that the quality control is hit or miss. I bought a Meike battery grip for my D7000 and it didn't function properly. I returned it and paid the Nikon price for the OEM grip (no regrets). About a year ago I bought 2 Yongnuo 565EX' flashes. One of them was defective and had to be returned for replacement right out of the box. So, I'm say'en, that in my experience, cheap 3rd party Nikon accessories are pretty much a crap shoot. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back