Memorial Day

johngpt

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Came across these old photos that had been scanned and sent to me from my aunt.

All three were taken about 1943, when my father and his older brother were in the service.

I thought it might be fitting, given that it's the Memorial holiday weekend, to post these. While I of course didn't snap them, it took quite awhile working on them in PsCS4 to make them presentable.

It was their generation, ostensibly our greatest generation, that made our way of life possible.

3561586540_dba95d92c8_o.jpg

On the left is my father, and on our right is his brother. My dad passed on in 1998, but his brother is alive and well in New Jersey, USA.

3560769345_5f7506c4bd_o.jpg

My father and my mother. Judging by the background, it seems to be the same park, on the same day. Our best guess is in 1943. Check out the car in the background!

3561719946_90e1bd6c0e_o.jpg

Again my father and mother. On our left is my Dad's mother, and at our far right is her sister. He's wearing his uniform pants but has taken off his blouse. Spaghetti sauce never splashes, does it? And my Mom's hair style is the same as in the other photo, so these were probably all taken the same day or same weekend. Leave was not granted very frequently.

If our guess is that it was 1943, my Mom would have been 19 years old, and my Dad would have turned 20 that year.

Hard to get my head around that, and that my older son will be 21 in a couple weeks.

My Dad passed on in 1998, and Mom four months later.

Sure do miss them.

These are great. Your mom and dad look so young in love. Thanks for sharing!

What's so great about these photos is that there is a story behind them--and you know that story and have shared it with us.

Thanks!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back