Memory Card blues

caerlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Working for a large organization, I get people in here with all different kinds of digicams and a million different types of memory cards. Lemme rattle 'em off for ya.

Secure Digital
Multi Media Cards
Smart Media Cards
Compact Flash 1
Compact Flash 2
IBM Micro Drive
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Magic Gate
Memory Stick Pro
xD Pictures Card
PC Cards

AAAAAAARGH. And there isn't a single drive on the market yet that will read every one. Some company called Dazzle says they are putting one on the market in a month or so that will read every format. That'll be nice. My biggest beef is with Sony. If SD cards can be made with 512 to 1 gig capacity and not require new drivers or new hardware to read them, then Sony probably can do it too. But they don't .The new memory stick Pro's require new drivers and adaptors/readers. Sony is a money grubbing machine who make their technology different than anyone elses just so they can make more money off the patent, and it is a total swindle of the consumer.

Anyhoo, while I'm on the subject. Can anyone here tell me where I can buy Secure Digital cards for cheap? Looking for 512 Mb to be specific.

Compact Flash users over here, we always buy ours from Ebay ... we bought four 256MB cards and two 64MB ... the downside of having too much memory ... the card screws up and u've lost more photos ... ebay is the cheapest we've found so far ... we got a good supplier and he's fast too :D

Yeah, the ideal thing is for employees to download the files and burn them to CD. But since people are often on week or month long trips in other countries they need as much memory as possible until they can burn them.

There's rarely more than 5 pics on the card left after they're through with it upon return. People are prettty good about expediting that stuff around here.

You are exactly right about Sony. It's just too bad that they make some great products or I'd boycott 'em.

wow!!!! ... 500MB last them a week or a month? :shock:

500mb is small, with a 5 or 6mpix :camera: 500mb with hold about 100 to 150 shots, i have shot up to 5 or 6 rolls of 36 at one baseball game before

You know, other then a Playstation 2 (wishing X-Box had better market share) and a DVD player, (which was the only one with built in Dolby Digital Decoder at Circuit City, where i bought it) I don't think i have anything Sony in my house..... I am trying to think of anything Sony makes thats so great, and i am at a loss. Their Didital cams are OK, but would prolly never be my first choice, their cost is on the higher side, so no benefit there. I guess my question is what so great about Sony, I hear people say they love it, but i don't see it. There is a possibility that i may be way off base so, please let me know....

Steve

Well the employees taking the camera with them are not photographers by trade. We simply ask them to try and get shots to document the work that goes on. If they can get some really dramatic candids that can possibly be used in an article we publish then that is gravy. I'm currently developing a training seminar to teach them some basics about photography because right now most of their work is below par, and that's referring to the "good" photos they submit.

am trying to think of anything Sony makes thats so great, and i am at a loss.
They may not make the Best at everything, but to their credit they did invent the CD. (if i remember my tech history correctly??)
I wish some other companies would follow their lead and make cameras that write to Mini-CDRs
Wolfepak

Sony has made some good products and they make everyone else pay through the nose for the patents. Like DVD technology was invented by Sony. Everyone who manufactures a DVD player has to pay Sony some money for the patent rights.

im no big fan of Sony, never have been .. but i think it's great that they have a team of "imaginist" that work hard to invent our everyday pleasures :) (amongst other companies that have vision as well)
... perhaps they can lead by example to push other companies to get off their bums and do something creative for a change :lol:

i remember a time when Motorola, for example.. were the leaders of the "celluar phones" ... but they have much competition... in the game of technology, u cant get complacent (lazy) or u will be pushed aside ... u have to stay on top of ur game .. "survival of the fittest" .. the weak shall perish....

Most reactions

Back