MEMORY CARD IS FULL (????)

Formatting the card rather than just erasing is a good part of any workflow. Once you've got the images off the card, formatting it in the camera will return the card to a stable state. After a while, it's good to test the integrity of cards, and do low-level formats thereafter if the card has bad sectors. A "low-level" format will essentially cordon-off the bad sectors, so they aren't used, so that you never risk any part of an image being corrupted.

Make sure you format in camera.

[I've never seen a RAW format that allows quality settings. it's either RAW or JPEG with quality and size options.

Neither have I. I was trying to say more along the lines of if the camera is set to Medium size (which on a Nikon is a different menu option than selecting JPEG or RAW), but the camera is set to shoot RAW you will end up with full sized files anyway.

[I've never seen a RAW format that allows quality settings. it's either RAW or JPEG with quality and size options.

Neither have I. I was trying to say more along the lines of if the camera is set to Medium size (which on a Nikon is a different menu option than selecting JPEG or RAW), but the camera is set to shoot RAW you will end up with full sized files anyway.

right. when you switch to RAW (on nikon) the only selection that show up in the quality display is RAW. unless you have RAW + JPEG.

also, good idea about making sure you do a format from the camera.

just another thought. have you used this card in a different camera? i.e. fuji vs nikon?
it will only show the files in the same camera in use

just another thought. have you used this card in a different camera? i.e. fuji vs nikon?
it will only show the files in the same camera in use

Interesting, I had no idea.

Same camera or same brand? Will a card used in a Canon XSI be seen in a Canon 5d MkII?

I am using a Canon 40D. The memory card is a Lentox 4GB. I am shooting is MEDIUM quality and all of my pictures were completely erased from the memory card. Nothing on it. I wasn't shooting in JPEG and not RAW. I'll try reformating the card... but I thought I even did that already. It's just that my second shooting had the same settings for the most part and was getting 400+ photos on her one 4GB card.

Very strange.

right. when you switch to RAW (on nikon) the only selection that show up in the quality display is RAW. unless you have RAW + JPEG.

In the top LCD yeah, but that is under the assumption that that was checked. Meh no matter, the op uses a Canon.

This could also explain the amount of photos that fitted on the card. RAW+JPEG (medium) would still only fit a few hundred.

In the top LCD yeah, but that is under the assumption that that was checked. Meh no matter, the op uses a Canon.

This could also explain the amount of photos that fitted on the card. RAW+JPEG (medium) would still only fit a few hundred.

true... i would say the most likely case is the card wasn't formated properly and may have had other data not visible to the card. that would be my guess.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back