MEMORY CARD QUESTION!!

indie snob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I neeeeeed to know what kind of SD card to buy when i get my D50. I want it to read and write fast so as to not hinder the speed at which i desire to make exposures. In other words, i don't want to have to go through the hassle you go through with point-and-shoots where it takes like a second or more to make the exposure and then another 2 or three before you can make another exposure.
reliability is always a must,
and cost is most deffinitely pertinent
PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR ADVICE, (brands, sizes, read/write speeds, etc.) ASAP!!

You didn't say what your budget was?

Can't go wrong with the SanDisk Extreme III or Lexar Pro 80x.
1GB for either card is just over $100 US.

With most DSLR cameras...the images are stored in a buffer, between the time they are taken and the time they are stored on the card. So, you don't have to worry about waiting for one shot to be written before you take another.

If you are taking a whole lot of shots in continuous shot mode (holding down the button) then your buffer will fill up and you may have to wait for the buffer to clear...that is where a faster card may help.

Really, most people rarely or never have to shoot 10+ shots continuously like that...so a faster card won't really mean that much. Maybe a little faster when you are uploading off of the card.

Check the specs...the D50 is fairly new, so it probably has a good buffer which will allow quite a few shots before the buffer fills up.

I'm using a Panasonic SD-card in it which does up to 20MB/sec. I can take up to about 20 pictures (highest JPEG-quality) in a burst before I need to wait for about 2-3 seconds. Then it's instantly ready to take another 20 pictures.

That's more than I ever needed when shooting for real (and I've done some burst-shots)

Check the camera specs in your owners manual. Nikons are picky with the type of card that can be used. It's a real bummer to shoot a vacation with the wrong card and find out it didn't work because you failed to read the manual.

Don't ask me how I know that.

Most reactions

Back