memory cards?

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really confused.. do I just need a regular SD card? Been searching and they keep calling them by slightly different names and I'm confused. The other thing is.. how many GB's do I really need? What did you all start out with? I'm looking at a 4GB because 8GB just seems unnecessary. I don't see myself shooting hundreds of photos at any given time, so is 4 good? This is one department I definitely know nothing of.. Any input is appreciated!

I have the Nikon D3000 on the way if the type of camera matters.

My 4GB SD will hold about 1500 to 1800 pictures and thats taking them in the largest pic size....with no vids no it.
My 8GB is a SD HC and will hold 2000+ at largest pic size and no vids.

The only reason i went ahead and got the larger card is because we were going to keep the 4GB in my Canon Powershot and use the 8GB for my Nikon D5000.
The 8GB was only $40.
Plus im the kind of person that can take over 2,000 pictures at say one birthday party....Cause i like to make sure i get multiple shots of the same thing just in case one comes out better than the others....especially when i dont have time to change settings and im just using Auto or just doing basic point and shoots.

Oh and when i bought my camera i was told that the regular SD would work but the camera may have a slower response time...But i really have no idea if thats true or not.

Thank you very much! I will look for an SD HC just incase I think. :) Thats a ton of pictures! lol.. while I don't have the camera yet, I can't picture myself taking that many, but you never know once I get started.. haha

Unless you are shooting video, my opinion is to have multiple 2gig cards. Your camera shoots 10.2 mega pixels so you can take quite a few shots on a 2 gig card, and I don't like having too much information on 1 card in case you have a problem with one of them. They are inexpensive enough, and after a few months I get rid of the old ones any way. That is my suggestion and that is all that it is, but if the worst should happen it is better to only have one card be corrupt and not have everything on one card.

Unless you are shooting video, my opinion is to have multiple 2gig cards. Your camera shoots 10.2 mega pixels so you can take quite a few shots on a 2 gig card, and I don't like having too much information on 1 card in case you have a problem with one of them. They are inexpensive enough, and after a few months I get rid of the old ones any way. That is my suggestion and that is all that it is, but if the worst should happen it is better to only have one card be corrupt and not have everything on one card.

+1 :thumbup:

Exactly. I only use 4GB cards with my D90. I do have a couple 8GB cards, but they are for backup mainly.

Sure it's convenient to have a 16GB card or whatever, so you don't have to change cards. But man, I'd hate to lose 16GB worth of photos if the card malfunctions. The risk is just not worth the convenience (laziness).

Most reactions

Back