Memory Cards ?

Robbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm getting a canon 400D a.s.a.p and I assume it doesn't include a memory card, at least not one of great enough capacity.

So i've got a few questions...
  • Is there a universal size (not as in memory) for memory cards ?
  • Are certain cards faster than others ?
  • What's the best type to go for ? Is this an item I should be economising on, or really is it a matter of getting what you pay for ?

A universal size?
There are many different types of memory card. All compact flash cards are physically the same size. As are all sd cards, mmc cards etc.
As for memory there are numerous sizes ranging from 16mb up to 16gb. For a 400D i'd suggest a card with at least 512mb. I'd also suggest that a few smaller cards may be better than one larger card incase a card is corrupted/stolen/lost.

Certain cards are faster but remember there is only a certain speed the camera will read/write so buying a card way in excess of the camera's speed is a waste of money.
a card of around 40x speed should be more than enough for the 400D. I use Sandisk Extreme II and Ultra III which i believe work at around 66x - 80x. I wouldn't buy anything faster - i'd rather buy bigger, or more.

I'd stick with known brands eg Sandisk rather than the cheapest you can find. Lexar had an issue with Canon cameras a while back. I lost a few images but they replaced the card without problem. I've never hads any problems with Sandisk though.

I won't use anything but the Sandisk Extreme III CF cards -- They're cheap enough that it's not worth bargain hunting. I've got a couple of 2GB and 1GB cards. I don't trust anything bigger than that. Things happen, and I don't want to lose more than a couple hundred pictures when they do.

I'm not certain about memory cards, but most things in photography are worth the price -- you DO get what you pay for.

Ok, thanks. :mrgreen:

So does a canon 400 take a compact flash or an SD card ?

The Canon 400D (Digital Rebel XTi) takes a Compact Flash card. Mine's a Sandisk Extreme II (I think, LOL) 2GB.

I'm getting a canon 400D a.s.a.p and I assume it doesn't include a memory card, at least not one of great enough capacity.

So i've got a few questions...
  • Is there a universal size (not as in memory) for memory cards ?
  • Are certain cards faster than others ?
  • What's the best type to go for ? Is this an item I should be economising on, or really is it a matter of getting what you pay for ?

Tip, don't buy memory cards on eBay, there's a big problem with fake labeling.

These guys have the best prices around, and according to a friend who buys from them, these are Sandisk cards with the Crucial label on them. I don't know... Maybe it varies from order to order or who gives them the best deal this week. But if it's price you are looking for, at least these guys have been around for years, selling memory chips and cards.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=EOS-10D+Digital+SLR

Personally I watch the ads in the newspaper and when someone has a sale, I may buy another card or two.

Sandisk is the safe bet and for the little you might save buying online, you are paying shipping and taking a chance. Just head out to Best Buy, Office Depot, Circuit City, Comp USA, whoever you are near, and get the real thing.

Sad but true, counterfeit cards are common on the web, so you get another brand, possibly inferior card, slower speed but marked fast, with a Sandisk label slapped on it.

Is there an SD card to Compact Flash adapter? I'm kind of thinking that once I get the money I'm gonna upgrade to a Canon Rebel XTi, but it takes compact flash. Right now I've got SD cards, so I don't really want to buy CFs too.

Is there an SD card to Compact Flash adapter? I'm kind of thinking that once I get the money I'm gonna upgrade to a Canon Rebel XTi, but it takes compact flash. Right now I've got SD cards, so I don't really want to buy CFs too.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you will want to. :sexywink:

SD/MMC to CF adapter - Allows Secure Digital (SD) card or Multi-Media card (MMC) to be used in a CompactFlash (CF) socket - Maximum memory supported is 128MB (about $90)!

Doesn't support larger cards. Costs more than just buying new cards. Crads may slow down. No promise that all cards will work with it.

I was going to write back, before I searched, and say, just buy new cards and keep the SD cards for other things. There are enough uses. Now that I see the price and the problems, I'm convinced.

You can find 2BG CF cards under $30. Prices keep coming down. You could find a bunch of 512 or 1 gb cards even cheaper. Walgreens had 512mb cards for $19 last month. That means you can get close to 200 images on a 512mb CF card.

I'd say, just buy new cards.

Tip, don't buy memory cards on eBay

A very sweeping statement. I've bought several and sold several on Ebay. And never had a problem.
Lots of positive feedback is the key. Many stores also sell through ebay.

Not everyone is a scammer - most folks are innocent and genuine but the few who take advantage get the site and the others a bad name.

I wouldn't rule ebay out but take more care if using it.

Most reactions

Back