Memory for D7100

SuperMiguel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i just got a D7100, first DSLR =) and im looking for memory for it.. I know that memory cards are not reliable so i want to get 2, and just copy the image to both.. My question is... 45 MB/s vs 95 MB/s?

Basically

a) SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46)

vs

b) SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-032G-AFFP

Cool thanks, and those should be fast enough for my camera? it says it needs class 6 to keep up with video

ya but both the Extreme and the Extreme Pro are class 10... Just not sure which one i need..

I'm a fairly new owner of a D7000 and I got a Transcend SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 300x 32Gb card. It's the 45mb/s one. I haven't had any issues yet and I've done a few movies and a bunch of continuous (6fps) shooting.
I was at a birthday party a couple of weeks ago and the photographer there was really nice and we chatted about stuff. One thing he did tell me is to look in to what recovery services that particular card maker has. He had a ScanDisk card and somehow it was declared corrupted by the camera. He downloaded the ScanDisk recovery software and was able to recover all his photo's.

I use a pair of Extreme 16 GB Class 10's (45MB) in my D7100 and don't have any issues with speed but I don't shoot video.

I know that memory cards are not reliable
Memory cards are reliable if they are treated properly.

I've never had a memory card problem that I didn't cause.
What problems I did cause were easily cured by re-formatting the card in the appropriate device.

Modern SD cards from reputable manufacturers are reliable. Unless it is a professional shooting, I would not bother with using the 2nd card for copying. If it is just a hobby - relax, you will not lose a client even if, very unlikely, something happens. Four 32Gb Sandisc Extreme cards will be enough. Or if you still worry, use 16Gb or smaller, you will lose much less if some card gives up the ghost.

ya but both the Extreme and the Extreme Pro are class 10... Just not sure which one i need..

What's the write speed of the D7100? Given the choice, I'd go for the Pro since it can write twice as fast. It makes a big difference when shooting in continuous, or even just a lot of captures in a short amount of time, and for previewing images on the screen and downloading.

What's the write speed of the D7100? Given the choice, I'd go for the Pro since it can write twice as fast. It makes a big difference when shooting in continuous, or even just a lot of captures in a short amount of time, and for previewing images on the screen and downloading.

The D7100 comes up a little short on Buffer size but is supposed to write up to 99MBs. It really come down to how the camera I set up I guess. I shoot Jpeg/Large/Fine which works fine using my Extreme 16 GB 45MB cards shooting short burst but shooting RAW in continuous mode is another story. I would deffently opt for the Pro 95MB cards if I switched to shooting in RAW and especially shooting in RAW using Continuous mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back