memory

jazzodin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot with a nikon D80 and a D200.My Question is even though both cameras have the same mega pixel count the file sizes when I shoot in raw are much different.The D200 saves a bigger file.Is it because of the two different kinds of cards(D80 uses SD cards D200 uses compactflash cards)?I know the D200 has a better sensor but I didn't think this would make such a big difference in file sizes.On my D80 I can get about 90 more images on a 4 GB card than I can on a 4 GB card for the D200.I hope someone knows the answer because for some dumb reason It's bugging the heck out of me.

Are you basing the number of files off real worl or that the camera lists on the LCD screen?
The reaso I ask is the the number of files in an estimate, and depending on the images captured you can get many more on a card. For example when I put a fresh 4 gig card in my D700 it tells me I have 201 pictures avalible, but in real world use I get over 300 on a card.

Indeed. Those estimates are poor ones at best. RAW file sizes vary greatly depending on how much information is to the right of the histogram; those areas of the dynamic range have much more information and thus require more bits to be described in full...to put it (far too) simply.

My suggestion is to just have lots of memory and not worry about it so much. I usually just look down every once in a while and when I get to around 10-20 images left or so, I swap-out cards.

The D80 only produces compressed RAWs, which probably accounts for the large RAW file size difference between the two. This assumes you are shooting in uncompressed RAW on your D200 of course.

All Dxx and Dxxxx bodies only capture Compressed RAW when RAW is selected. You have to go to the Dxxx and Dx bodies to get the choice of full RAW, lossless compressed RAW or lossy compressed RAW.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back