men at work

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now here is a delima I never thought I would face.

They are installing a new gas line in my neighborhood. And have some really neat machines. The crew of about a dozen are swarming over my lawn like little chipmonks. I went out to see what they were doing. I had the thought that I might come back inside and pull out an antique camera to shoot some shots of men at work. Or maybe standing around looking like they are waiting to work.

Something inside told me that if i started to click shutters on these latin american type gentlemen, I might have three foot deep holes in my yard for months. It is quite possible that they would all be long gone very quickly.

So I chose to come here and close my ears to the tantilizing sounds of metal banging. My how the world has changed.

May not be so bad. You been looking for a walk right? Smile.

I'm just saying, those guys probably ain't so bad. I had a job where I used to watch people (Hispanics) actually work, what made it awkward is that I carried a clipboard and wrote down what they did for tech manuals. We got along fine.

About a month ago, a crew plowed down the street and installed a sewer line. I didn't take shots, but I did walk the dog to the library a couple times (he's into local history). I smile and stay out of the way. Some would smile back. Others just did what they do.

Being friendly is the trick. Take some photos. I doubt they'll mind or 'get even.' Those jobs are hard to find.

Look at it like an opportunity.

Around town here it used to be all friendly, folks would smile and say hi and so on. It's getting less and less like that. But I try to get out and walk, and when I see someone, I smile and wave. Sometimes they wave back- sometimes they don't. If they do smile I say hi. Sometimes they run like hell for cover when they see me coming. I figure what can shortly be described as, 'FTITCTAJ.'

Don't be afraid, it's where you live.

Would like to get about a dozen other photographers and do a photo survivor show lol... worst picture taker of the week goes...

Sounds like a new forum category.

Actually we are all buds... They have been in my area about a week or so and I see them every morning. That is the real reason I don't break out the cam. I don't want any of them to be uncomfortable . But that wouldn't near as good a story.

Bring them some good food and refreshments :)

Never shoot down the shot before it happens. If you are even halfway interested explain your intentions and go for it. You could produce some great work. Especially if they are going to be there a couple of days.

Love & Bass

Just ask them! The worst they can say is no.

When I was in NYC recently, I was walking down a sidestreet in lower Manhattan and there were a bunch of workmen doing something in a ditch. I snapped a picture of yellow hardhats and picks and shovels just above ground level. None of them even noticed.

Too late they have moved on now.

I asked three old men on a walmart bench once and to a man they said, "hell no." It was in a public place and legal to shoot them, but I asked. After I asked, and got the no I didn't shoot them. I learned my lesson from that, if its legal to shoot, just shoot. EXcept children these days. The parents tend to get all crazy and I can't blame them.

This is the exception to that rule, they know where I live. rofl

Not likely.... And I can't afford caviar and champaign for myself let alone to give to anyone else.

Besides which I hate everyone equally. No favorites played here.

But it wasn't about race it was about Illegal immigration my friend. It is a fact that a large percentage of latino construction workers are illegal these days. You start popping off pics of illegal and they get very uncomfortable.

I had a contract for years photographing houses for insurance companies and banks. I was accosted by lots of people during that time. Most were either illegal immigrants or people with a criminal record. What I was doing was legal, but it made everyone nervous. Me as well when they went back in the house angrily. Always expected them to return with a rusty shotgun.

The short answer is that I wouldn't have fed either. The reply was to offer them good food and drink not to their being black white or green. Most of the workers I know, since I grew up in a mill village in the south I have known a few, would prefer beer to iced tea. And that my friend was the basis of the comment.

Most reactions

Back