Mentoring system suggestion

I'd be reluctant to put my name up - available to PM by any individual who wants advice or cc... isn't that what the beginners forum is for??
My previous (ill-fated :er:) post was about just that: posters submitting snapshots taken with a new camera and asking whether the shots were "professional"...
I think anyone who puts their name forward may soon find themselves inundated by requests for advice that "should" be posted on the board.
eg "Hi - noobie here, just got meself a 40D, here's some shots I took. Care to cc? as I'm planning going Pro next weekend shooting a wedding..."
Maybe...
Maybe another way would be where a would-be Mentor sees a poster who seems genuine and shows a bit of promise (He who knows not - and knows that he knows not, can be taught: Teach him. Confucious) could approach the poster and offer to be a mentor...
And maybe... Just maybe...
If that practice came to be accepted, 'other' posters would start to submit better quality pictures in the hope that...
Or even -
"Mentor wanted: please look at my pictures and if you think I show any promise of improvement please PM me. Thankyou."
Now I, for one, might respond to that...
Jedo

<snipped>

Or even -
"Mentor wanted: please look at my pictures and if you think I show any promise of improvement please PM me. Thankyou."
Jedo

That sounds like an excellent idea to me!

Hi Everybody,

Well this seems very exciting to me.

Should prospective mentees post here too? Or PM a mentor? Or wait?

I'm a bit afraid the idea won't get off the ground. For it to work it would be nice if there were a way to prevent the mentor being overloaded or having their time wasted. One proposal might be for the mentee to write up the subject of each discussion or point of learning for the review of the entire forum?

cheers,
david

i think this will be like the other idea threds latey that nothing happens with.

maybe the critcs and mentors sould update theyre profile and include a link to some work they do. explain why theyre a good mentor. then instead of waiting for the pm's to roll in, look through the forums for people asking for cc. show you kno what you are talking abot.

i sugest including a signature like jedoO3 said exspt for mentors. maybe

I WANT TO HELP YOU PLEESE PM ME FOR DETAILS

and for the mentee

I WANT YOUR HELP PLEESE PM ME FOR DETAILS

i stil think the best is when you see someone ask for help give it to them. if you want help ask for it

I'd be reluctant to put my name up - available to PM by any individual who wants advice or cc .... I think anyone who puts their name forward may soon find themselves inundated by requests for advice that "should" be posted on the board.
Agree with Jedo on the paraphrase above. I would be happy to mentor one maybe two beginners - but for those stated reasons, would want a mechanism or interview or something in place to help weed out those that are looking for the quick fix (or buck) of everything "right now!" vs those that are truly interested in learning about the basics of photography and expanding upon and developing their skills.

I'd be reluctant to put my name up - available to PM by any individual who wants advice or cc... isn't that what the beginners forum is for??
My previous (ill-fated :er:) post was about just that: posters submitting snapshots taken with a new camera and asking whether the shots were "professional"...
I think anyone who puts their name forward may soon find themselves inundated by requests for advice that "should" be posted on the board.
eg "Hi - noobie here, just got meself a 40D, here's some shots I took. Care to cc? as I'm planning going Pro next weekend shooting a wedding..."
Maybe...
Maybe another way would be where a would-be Mentor sees a poster who seems genuine and shows a bit of promise (He who knows not - and knows that he knows not, can be taught: Teach him. Confucious) could approach the poster and offer to be a mentor...
And maybe... Just maybe...
If that practice came to be accepted, 'other' posters would start to submit better quality pictures in the hope that...
Or even -
Jedo

i think jedo has a good point. i hadn't really thought about it like that jedo. thanks for bringing this up.
maybe we should "pick out" the ones that do show promise. those who have passed the "i just got my camera" stage.

I concur with what has been discussed. Just a thought but perhaps a thread should be started specifically for that 'interviewing' process. The mentors should give a brief intro - two images of their work (something like that). Then there should be a separate thread for those who want to be mentored with a brief intro and two of their favourite work. Then the mentors can hand choose who they think will be a good fit. Once it has been determined then both mentors and mentorees can edit the beginning of their post "TAKEN" or something along those lines.

Just a thought

I concur with what has been discussed. Just a thought but perhaps a thread should be started specifically for that 'interviewing' process. The mentors should give a brief intro - two images of their work (something like that). Then there should be a separate thread for those who want to be mentored with a brief intro and two of their favourite work. Then the mentors can hand choose who they think will be a good fit. Once it has been determined then both mentors and mentorees can edit the beginning of their post "TAKEN" or something along those lines.

Just a thought

very nice idea:thumbup:

Where's this official thread? I'm in.

I think a sticky with mentor profiles is in order.

Ok, so I can get an idea of who is in for this could all people intending to be MENTORS please send me a pm - this pm should contain basic info about you and your photography. So a little history, the whys and the hows as well as a kit list, links to samples of your work, any websites or blogs you are running.
Also you should include what you are able to provide to a student (basically what your main areas of interest and understanding are - so nature, wildlife, macro, landscape, people etc... - the only limit is your skills so don't fear putting down more than one type)
Also include anything that you are looking for in a possible student - this could be anything or nothing, but importantly note down a rough (none of us will know till we start this) number of students that you feel you can support through the site

Also could all people please check this thread also:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124295

Thanks

Man, y'all benn busy little bees last night. So, you all see the way Overread and I and others have been seeing this take shape . . .

We have asd TPF for at least a seperate sub-forum, at the very least a sticky thread to stay on top of wherever we choose for our new home. (I think Overread's beyond Basics forum idea is best)
We each (mentors) are placed onto the first post of this thread, added by the author as he receives their info (Name, Gear, Photographic history, edu, preferences, Geo location, etc). Prospective students go through the list and then contact these mentors on their own, not via the thread. There will be a few things put into the thread such as 'This is for serious long-term educational partnerships. First time C&C's should redirect to the Beginner's forum.' Something like that. The rest is up to us individually and we can use the thread/sub-forum for bouncing teaching ideas and such back and forth and for any local gathering information.

My only problem with PMs is that no one else on the forum will learn from it. I learn a lot reading the threads that people start asking for help. The assistance you are offering through a PM may infact help me as well.

This is not for 'Can anyone help me' type questions. This is for 'Hey, you shoot medium format black and white film cameras on the East Caost. You're good with flash and the Zone System. I live near you. Would you mind helping me out. I have similar interests and want tolearn to apply these to my landscape and portraiture photography like you have'

The Mentoring program is going to be pretty teacher/student specific. And most of these teachers ALREADY answer your questions out in the beginners forums. But that is not the purpose of the Mentoring Program.

By the by, guys. We should have a clearly defined mission statement that we can place in the thread that everyone can completely ignore as well.

Most reactions

Back