Mentors?

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tutor, mentor. What's the difference?

IMO a Mentor is more of a personal/emotional experience.

You have to pay a tutor.

Plus, I think "mentor" usually sounds wiser (or is that "more wise"...not sure if wiser is a word...) and more experienced.

I agree that a mentor tends to be more personal, almost someone you feel you could trust with anything, including your worst work. There is more respect involved.

A tutor implies that they are directly teaching you a subject whilst a mentor is someone whome you respect who is advising and guiding you through something.

Very hazy lines to draw I agree for a tutor can also be a mentor and a mentor a tutor.

If you like, I chose the name of mentor because it is a little less formal than a tutor. Plus a tutor implies a degree or some such other bit of paper proving a level of understanding whilst a mentor is often judged soley upon the end product - which in the end is a bigger part of the online mentor system set up here

A tutor implies that they are directly teaching you a subject whilst a mentor is someone whome you respect who is advising and guiding you through something.

Very hazy lines to draw I agree for a tutor can also be a mentor and a mentor a tutor.

If you like, I chose the name of mentor because it is a little less formal than a tutor. Plus a tutor implies a degree or some such other bit of paper proving a level of understanding whilst a mentor is often judged soley upon the end product - which in the end is a bigger part of the online mentor system set up here

Do you have a dictionary?

Do you have a dictionary?

currently its burried under about 5 layers of other books under a few boxes ;)
and yes I am too lazy to search for the words ;)
that is just the thought that comes to my mind upon hearing the words - right or wrong its how I view them (though its not a set in stone definition)

Tutor: a person employed to instruct another in some branch or branches of learning, esp. a private instructor.

Mentor: a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.

You hire a tutor to help you learn something. A mentor is more like an experienced co-worker who takes you under his/her wing.

Ok. What on earth is a 'mentee'?

According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

A mentor is defined as "a person who acts as guide and adviser to another person, esp. one who is younger and less experienced. Later, more generally: a person who offers support and guidance to another; an experienced and trusted counsellor or friend; a patron, a sponsor."

The word can also be used as a verb.

Oddly enough, the OED actually does maintain that "mentee" is a word, although it was invented in 1965 by an American, so I don't personally think that counts.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

A mentor is defined as "a person who acts as guide and adviser to another person, esp. one who is younger and less experienced. Later, more generally: a person who offers support and guidance to another; an experienced and trusted counsellor or friend; a patron, a sponsor."

The word can also be used as a verb.

Oddly enough, the OED actually does maintain that "mentee" is a word, although it was invented in 1965 by an American, so I don't personally think that counts.

TIME: CLICK!!!!

Thank you Alpha. That quiz had to be excruciating for everyone.

Your off the list, despite yourself :biglaugh:

Of course not. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back