Merging 2 hobbies!

OregonAmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We started homebrewing again this year and have 10 gallons of apple wine fermenting in the basement. I was taking some pictures of the fermentation, when I thought to capture the activity in the air lock. (The airlock stops air & bacteria from going in to the apple wine, while letting CO2 out during fermentation.) That's CO2 moving upward through a couple ounces of vodka (to kill anything trying to get through); I thought it was kind of a neat picture.

DSC_0034-3.JPG

Nice hobbies! I wish I knew how to make apple wine ... we had so many apples this year, some of which had to stay in the tree as they were too high up ... much to the delight of the birds and squirrels now, who feed on them right there in the tree (funny looking "apples" we've now got up there ;)).

Cool bubble bubbling up there.
Pity about the direct flash.
I think this photo could have come out even "neater" if the light had been from another angle.

I agree, and tried all sorts of things with the light I had. These puppies are backed against a wall & I don't want to mix them up by moving them. And, I don't have any portable light in the basement (or anywhere in the house really. I'm not a lamp person)... so, bare bulbs and camera flash it was.

If you have ideas on what else I could use, I'd love to try it and take the pictures again. These babies will be downstairs for a while.

BTW, apple wine's pretty easy. It's harder with fresh apples since you have to crush them then boil the juice. Once you do that, though, it's easy. Or, you can just buy 5 gallons of apple juice (pasturized, 100% natural), dump it in a fermenter or bucket, add some wine yeast, 2 pounds of sugar, and cover with an airtight lid and airlock. Then you let it sit for a few months & bottle/keg it. A lot easier than wine or beer!

BTW, here are the containers (carboys) we ferment in. They're not very expensive - $28 each and you use them over & over again (I don't know how much they cost in Germany, but they're likely only a hair more expensive than here). Also very prone to reflection as you can see - how do you like the basement rug? ;)
DSC_0020.JPG

Most reactions

Back