Merging images in PS

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
I want to take two different images and put them together in separate layers of a single image. In other words, if you create a new layer it creates one using the same image. I want to create one using another image. Is this possible?

If you have both images open in PS I'm pretty sure you can just drag one image into the other's window and it will add it as its own layer.

If that doesn't work, with keyboard shortcuts in Windows, click on the first image to give it focus, use CTRL-A to select all, CTRL-C to copy, click the other image, CTRL-V to paste. The first image will be pasted as a layer into the second.

Neither one works. I may not understand TBaracki's suggestion but I saw nothing change by dragging and dropping. Mark, when you do what you suggest it does add the second image to the first one as a separate layer but it changes the first one to the second one so you have two layers of only a single image. I'm trying to get two different images merged into one as separate layers. Think double exposure with the ability to work on each one as a separate layer.

HDR does this by merging images into a single one but it doesn't merge them into layers. It just merges them into a single image.

Any other thoughts?

Open both images. Using the move tool (v), left click and drag one into the other image. When your mouse moves above the second image, (the one you are dropping into), the cursor should have a small white box with a plus sign on it. Let go and you should have a second layer with your new image in it.

As Mark said, you can select all and copy/paste, but this uses the clipboard and eats up your ram. The most efficient way is to drag and drop.

Most reactions

Back