Merry-Go-Round - CC

SwissJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Practicing my panning motion blur technique.

As always, please C&C! Thanks.

4599673915_4ffe269510_o.jpg

Looks good from here.
I especially like the vibrant colors, and the lights in the top left.

You're getting there. The speed of pan doesn't look quite right, may be a little off, or maybe a little too long exposure which caused the horse to move towards or away from you a little too much to keep it sharp. Also, I would at least crop it so that it is level.

Allan

Thanks to both of you.

I think it looks odd cause the hind legs are in motion while the head is relatively frozen.

I actually cropped this at the angle so that it would be more dynamic and lively, and to give the horse more of a take-off effect. I'll try some other crops and see how they work out.

I think it's quite challenging to try motion blur on an object that moved in a circular motion to and away from the camera all the time.

That may be an explanation why the rear of the pony is not as sharp as the front.

I'm not too excited about the "tiltedness". I'd level the image before posting.

Also, the two horses in the front are blown out. Lower your ISO to 100 or lower if you can to get the necessary exposure time for the pan (also a higher aperture would do the trick).

I agree with creisinger, panning this type of motion can be tough, but you did good.

I again agree with creisinger about the exposure, the horses are a bit overexposed. That is common in panning, because of how the camera is metering, especially if you are using flash (by the way, rear sync works nice for panning), but again, in my experience any flash in panning increases your chance for overexposure depending on flash mode and how it meters. Just something to be aware of. I use negative exposure compensation, or sometimes exposure lock for panning children swinging.

Article on panning should it prove helpful to anyone.

Great info. Many thanks.

I'm guilty of overexposing the horses extra in post. If anyone cares to see, here is the original with the camera's neutral picture style--toned down and not tilted. Some detail in the center horse is still visible. Not the best of compositions, but it is what it is.

4601798574_82ca6dc9ec_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back