Metering for Flash

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I try to avoid using my flash if at all possible but, now with having a macro lens, i'm finding myself wanting to use flash more.

Simple question here, how the heck do I meter in manual mode when using flash? I think the 'standard' flash metering is f5.6 at 1/60 shutter speed. Do I simply do the appropriate math as needed to re-meter for slower faster shutter speeds (ie: f8.0 at 1/30 shutter speed or, on the other side, f4.0 at 1/125 shutter speed)?

Any basic information would be great! Thanks.

I assume you're talking about the pop-up flash?

Pretty sure E-TTL is your only option, I don't think the camera will even allow you to adjust the flash power...

Just set the shutter speed to the max sync speed (probably 1/200 or 1/250 ... check your manual), and put the aperture wherever you need it for the DOF you want.

The camera will fire a preflash, meter the light bouncing back, adjust the power if necessary, then open/close the shutter while firing the 'real' flash. This will happen so fast, it will look like the flash only went off once.

Basically, none of the settings matter - put them wherever you want. The camera will automatically try to make it a 'good' exposure.

I used the 580 today and I was able to set the flash power. My first time using a flash, what an experience...:confused:

Yup, whole new learning curve, lol. (At least you got the right one. :) :thumbup:)

For the pop-up flash though - other than Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC), I don't think there's really anything at all you can do to change the settings...

I mean, It's not like you can dial it in to 1/4 power or anything like that.

Still not really sure what kind of flash we're talking about here, but I just assumed it was the pop-up flash...

"I try to avoid using my flash if at all possible" ... Why would you buy a flash that you didn't intend to use? (That's why I assumed pop-up unit)

Last edited:
Yes, talking about pop-up flash! I don't have any external flash devices.

Your only option with the pop up flash is Flash Exposure Compensation as it only fires on ETTL. If you're really interested in macro you should really consider a hot shoe flash, or even a ring flash.

Learning to use a flash is a whole other venture, read this: strobist.com

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to do some reading on ETTL and Flash Exposure Compensation! I have no idea what either of them are.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back