Metering Modes

JMD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm wondering what mode everyone here uses to meter. I'm using a d50 and have the option of matrix, center weighted, and spot. I have found myself using more of the spot metering and ceter weighted so I can expose for a particular part of the image.

However, I have been reading "Understanding Exposure" and it mentioned that for the most part it is better to shoot in matrix metering and to leave spot metering alone. So what do you all do?

Justin

it doesnt say to stay away from spot metering..just that its not a noob friendly mode..you kind of need to know what you're doing w/ spot..spot is awesome in certain scenarios

i use matrix/evaluative for a great majority of my pictures..but use spot very often.

In time, you will learn to use whatever is effective for the shot you are looking for..

If you are just starting out, using Matrix will provide better results than spot or center..... BUT WAIT...

every once in a while you will come up with a shot that failed to meet your vision..... study what went wrong with these shots to make yourself a better photographer...

shots with a wide dynamic range (lots of darks, lots of brights) might fool matrix into what to properly expose (simply because it's impossible to properly expose it all). It's then you must jump in and make a correction..... tell the camera what you are looking for...

I usually use centre weighted but I don't think about it too much. I tend to check the results (primarily the Histogram) and adjust my exposure accordingly.

it doesnt say to stay away from spot metering..just that its not a noob friendly mode..you kind of need to know what you're doing w/ spot..spot is awesome in certain scenarios

Dionysus you are correct on that comment being for beginners and that was some poor drafting by me to leave that out of my post.
I'll continue to play around with the modes on different shots and see what I come up with.

Justin

i usually have it at center weighted also..

I use matrix on my cameras that have it. Since it meters the whole scene, I tend to get more keepers. Occasionally, I might switch to spot if i'm dealing with difficult lighting.

I would say I use center-weight about 90% of the time and spot metering the other 10% when I have to have precise control over the exposure due to tricky lighting or I need to accomplish a special creative effect .. like emphasizing selecting lighting. Think of it this way:
Matrix = you have no control
Center = you have control
Spot = you have near total control

One of my function buttons is a spot override. Otherwise, I leave it in spot.

Matrix metering can be dangerous to use, as it is super easy to fool the camera. Generally I just expose a "bar" or two below the recommended value and I'm good to go.

Most reactions

Back