Metering problems with k1000

redneckdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been having problems with my pentax k1000 metering system. I went to take pictures today and noticed that the meter needle does not corespond correctly with the shutter speed. When adjusted from B to 1/1000 the exposure needle actually moves toward the + side, not the - side. Theoretcily, the needle should plumet to the bottom of the scale not rise up. I checked the film speed / shutter speed knob and it is assembled correctly. Any ideas? I'm wondering if the meter was messed up to begin with. When I first got the camera my exposures were all over the place until I started using the sunny 16 rule.

Thats weird.... I'm shootin in the dark but perhaps the battery is in the camera with the poles reversed. Is the lens stopping down properly during metering?

I replaced/double checked the battery. I'm positive the problem is in the camera body, the problem didn't change when I swapped lenses. The k1000 is full manual, the only electronic part is the meter, the shutter is mechanical. I'm thinking there is a problem with the transistors on the circuit board.

Meters on this type camera are unreliable in very low light, they are selenium based and though can give pretty acurate results in good conditionsI would suggest a hand held meter for trickier lighting situations.

Its not a fault, simply the technology of the day.

okay, i checked each individual shutter setting and they do corespond with the corect shutter action, ie holding the trigger down when the shutter is set to B, hold the shutter open. The needle is still acting screwy. Can you guys recommend some good hand held meters?

I use a Luna Pro. I have not found a situation that exceeded its capabilities. It cannot monitor flash, however.

sekonic do an excellent model for about $200, the 308b I've got has been in use four years now both in and out of studio with no problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back