Metz 45 CL1 & CL4 thoughts and opinion needed

earthdog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All!

I have a D90 and i want to get more professional. I would like to learn about light and flash usage.

I like Metz 45 CL1 becasue i want to manual configure the flash for my needs.

On the other hand i saw that CL4 can get an adapter and become TTL..

Is this correct?

Bottom line what would you guys suggest for me?

Elias

I really like my older Metz flashes. In order to use iTTL you will have to purchase the Mecablitz 45 CL digital and the SCA 3402 M8 control module. Although more expensive the 76 MZ-5 is a very nice and much more powerful flash.

I believe that if you compare the GN of the 45 CL with the 76 at 35 mm coverage they are the same: 45 m - ie the overall output is about the same.

Best,
Helen

i see, thanks!

i found today a really nice price on a used MZ 50 MZ-5..should i go for it instead?

The 50 has almost the same overall output as the 76 (a GN of 72 m at 105 mm coverage instead of 76 m; 42 m at 35 mm coverage instead of 45 m), and it also has the zoom head (unlike the 45 series).

I'm not sure that plain old TTL works with the D90 - it needs to be iTTL because the real-time method of TTL does not work well with digital sensors, only with film. Check the Metz website carefully - of the ones you have mentioned it looks like you would need the 76 MZ-5 digital or the 45 CL-4 digital for iTTL.

Best,
Helen

Thanks!

I think i will choose between a 45 CL1 (full manual in order to begin learning) or the SB700 in order to be able to learn through it and have the iTTL capability at its best with D90...

Am i near to anything ? :)

Although the SB700 will be more expensive, it would be the better choice. Your D90 has a commander mode, that will remotely manage and trigger the SB700. My D7000 will trigger my SB900 and even the Metz 48 AF1 digital wich I bought for my Canon power shot G9 a couple of years ago. I needed to update the firmware in the Metz, but it now works remotely with my Nikon

Most reactions

Back