Metz 45 CT 5 NC with Canon SLR?

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, time for me to aks a question in here myself ;)

Does anyone have experience with the Metz 45 CT 5 flash with todays Canon (D)SLRs?

I've got a Canon EOS 100 and an EOS 5 D ... is there ANY chance to use this flash?

I got this flash for free today.

Cheers!

hmm, looks like nobody has experience with that flash?

hmmm ... ok, i give up on this one ;)

From this site

It says that the Metz 45 CT 5 is rated (measured by user) at 14.8 volts for trigger voltage.

I'm guessing that the 5D is rated for 200 or 250 volts (like my 20D)...but your EOS 100 may only be rated at 6V volts...however, the ISO standard for cameras is 24 volts...so 14.8 volts is listed as 'your call'.

I have one of those, as well as a CL4. Have to use them as manual flashes with any body that uses iTTL (Nikon). I was able to get a module for the F4s for the CL4 so I get full flash functionality with that camera. I don't know about Canon though. The CL4 and CT5 will fire all day and recyle in 2.5 seconds using a Quantum battery.

thanks for the link and the feedback!

I own one of thesde flashes now, and I will have to decide if I puit any effort into it to get it working with my Canon 5D or my 100 ... or if I sell it via Ebay .. but it is a nice flash technically.

I believe this unit used the SCA-300.

I think Bogen might distribute this line nowadays (?)
They should have data on intercangabilty and usability.

Now, Logically (an when does logic ever apply?) it would seem that if any "advanced" featured flash worked with "advanced" feature camera it "should" provide those features with the digital camera.

I would assume that, say a SB24 would work just fine with a D-50 ot D-70 Nikon.

I don't know about Canon..

Good Luck..

Ciao,

Tom

I believe this unit used the SCA-300.

I think Bogen might distribute this line nowadays (?)
They should have data on intercangabilty and usability.

Now, Logically (an when does logic ever apply?) it would seem that if any "advanced" featured flash worked with "advanced" feature camera it "should" provide those features with the digital camera.

I would assume that, say a SB24 would work just fine with a D-50 ot D-70 Nikon.

I don't know about Canon..

Good Luck..

Ciao,

Tom
Um... No. To start with the CT5 used the SCA500 adaptor - this was discontinued and hard to find. You can still use the CT5 unit with a Canon digital camera provided that you can reduce the trigger voltage to a safe level. Wein Safesync is about the only way to go. This will sit on the hotshoe and allow you to plug in via PC cord.

You will not get any information from the flash unit going through to the camera, so no flash ready light in the viewfinder, no TTL metering. You'll be operating on pretty much a manual basis, or at best shutter priority. If the latter, you need to set the flash unit to the distance from camera to subject and rely on the camera's metering for light. You may be able to get rear curtain/front curtain sync, but no red eye. I tend to use mine as a slave unit triggered by an optical slave from the inboard flash. Provides a nice amount of light when bounced via a brolly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back