MI Lighthouse

mommyphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't posted for a very long time. I've had a lot of heath issues and I'm still dealing with them. I took this shot while visiting my in-laws in Michigan this past March. I'm just getting to working on them. I really liked this shot and would like to hear what y'all thought.

MI Lighthouse by bettylou0329, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

I really like the composition. Too bad you couldnt do something about the washed out sky.

i like the shot but agree with hugh in regards to the sky. where is this lighthouse?

Don't quite remember the location. My in-laws live in Travers City so up around that area. Thanks for the feedback. Would there be any way to fix the sky issue in post possessing?

Don't quite remember the location. My in-laws live in Travers City so up around that area.
This is the Old Mission Point Lighthouse. It sits exactly on the 45th Parallel, halfway between the Equator and the North Pole. I've got shots of this as well, but not many - I live about 2 hour's drive from this and visited on a whim on a cold January day that was so cold, I might as well have BEEN at the North Pole that day. The icy wind was just WHIPPING across frozen bay and slamming into the peninsula it sits on! I was bundled up real good too, but it chills my bones just thinking about the few minutes I spent out of the vehicle trying to get a few shots that day! BBBBRRRRR!!!!

Would there be any way to fix the sky issue in post possessing?
It can be done. However...

It's usually very difficult to mask this kind of complicated tree action well, even with good software, in order to drop in a believable sky background. To complicate matters particular to this image, you have white snow all over the trees including on the trunks, and possibly some white birch bark even, and that's all a close match to the white sky, making that masking exercise even more difficult. Even after getting the initial mask, hours of work at a minimum would follow, I'd guess, even by someone who's pretty good at that sort of thing, in order to really pull it off.

This is rather quick and dirty, and still took me a good half hour of playing with it, just because I got interested in the challenges presented:

7156327447_f52b66f8a3_k_Background.jpg

It doesn't take much examination to see that a lot of the smaller twigs and branches got lost in the mask, and there's still a bit of fringing. To the casual eye, it probably passes well enough though. The more time and effort put into it beyond this, the more detail and believability that can be pulled out.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so bothered with the sky if it wasn't a white building in snow.

Yes! That's the name of it. Thanks. Thank you for the quick edit. I'm still working on my post processing skills and don't think I could fix the sky to where it wouldn't look fake. I appreciate all the feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back